Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By lobstaboy
T6Harvard wrote:....My landings, FOR THERE WERE MANY, were a bit various - covered most varieties from balloon, flat, squirrely, a bit more of an arrival, and one or two described as good.

All were mains first, so I suppose that's a relief in itself :lol:
:

Hooray!
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Wow you must be knackered after all that time in the cockpit. I am pretty sweaty after an hour.
Well exam tomorrow, thanks for the good wishes, then a lesson, which I might stretch a bit if my FI is OK with that.
Weather not looking good for Saturdays lesson though :cry:
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
T6Harvard wrote:....My landings, FOR THERE WERE MANY, were a bit various - covered most varieties from balloon, flat, squirrely, a bit more of an arrival, and one or two described as good.

All were mains first, so I suppose that's a relief in itself :lol:

Can't tell you how glad I am to hear this. :thumright:
T6Harvard, tr7v8, JAFO and 2 others liked this
By tr7v8
Well FP & P passed today, two wrong. One used the CRP1 which was about crosswinds & true to magnetic. The other I think was a landing graph which I applied a 1.33 correction to & probably shouldn't have :-( That leaves Met & Nav to do.
After that yet another entry for my logbook for today. I think I'm going to get a rubber stamp for my logbook. Rochester was not that busy but very windy, I was asked if I wanted to give it a go as it was quite bumpy.
So yet 4 more t/o & landings today and 50 minutes. Generally happy with my performance, struggling with speed control on the last little bit of final (too fast), but the landings were pretty good.
No tricky bits today as we were on 02 so not allowed to do EFATO. I was too busy keeping it right side up anyway.
So now 33 lessons & 32 hours 40mins in.
Next lesson tomorrow if the weather behaves.
By T6Harvard
Oh, great result on the exam, @tr7v8 !

Very windy and still decent landings is also excellent.

Tomorrow may be the big day..... :mrgreen: Or will it be too busy?
By tr7v8
T6Harvard wrote:Oh, great result on the exam, @tr7v8 !

Err... maybe. :cyclopsani: the current forecast for Kent is pretty grim for the weekend. It is quite autumnal outside just now, as well as being pretty blowy. Generally if the weather is good at Rochester it is busy in the morning as everyone disappears, then quietens down. Lesson tomorrow is 16:00 so we'll see.
My instructor goes on holidays tomorrow night for 2 weeks so I'll be in the hands of others!
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
tr7v8 wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:Oh, great result on the exam, @tr7v8 !

Err... maybe. :cyclopsani: the current forecast for Kent is pretty grim for the weekend. It is quite autumnal outside just now, as well as being pretty blowy. Generally if the weather is good at Rochester it is busy in the morning as everyone disappears, then quietens down. Lesson tomorrow is 16:00 so we'll see.
My instructor goes on holidays tomorrow night for 2 weeks so I'll be in the hands of others!

Just as I guessed, lesson cancelled today. Weather was getting better as the day went on but not fast enough for me to fly at 16:00 Oh well next lesson is Tuesday.
By tr7v8
And yet another entry for my logbook for today. I think I'm going to get a rubber stamp for my logbook. Rochester was pretty quiet, probably because rain was forecast for sometime in the afternoon. Light winds pretty much straight down the strip. Although on the downwind part of the circuit there was pretty heavy showers to the west, with brilliant sunshine to the north & east.
So yet 8 more t/o & 5 landings today and 1 hour 5 minutes. Different instructor today, does a few things slightly differently, Nothing significant but focusses on slightly different areas. Getting much better, one landing was a bit naff when I flared too early but the rest were good. Still need to get the final bit of approach & flare right but better.
So now 34 lessons & 33 hours 45mins in.
Next lesson Friday if the weather behaves. It looks to be getting better as the week goes on.
By t1m80
I think I'm now legit back on this forum having just bought a share in a two-seater out of Rochester. Stick not yoke, low-wing not high, Garmin G5 rather than just steam gauges. So I'll be learning to fly all over again!
By T6Harvard
@tr7v8 , you are going for perfection then?! Sounds like you are doing really well, although I did re-read the 8 TO/ 5 Landings bit!

Ooh, that's fab @t1m80 ! Congratulations!! How exciting.

-----

In order to bring some perspective to my efforts I have just searched for and watched a couple of YTs of low hours students' landings. Well, it seems other folks do the same dodgy things as me :lol: Instructor hardly batted an eyelid, just rescued it and then explained what happened and what to do to avoid.

I laughed out loud at one of the comments that started off with the cliche about 'a good landing is one when you can use the aircraft again', but the commentator had added, 'I couldn't even use the same Instructor again!'

I found myself critiquing the action "oooh, way to high" "stop yanking the yolk about" "rudder" "centreline!".
It's easy sitting here but I was glad to be able to recognise the right and wrong 'picture' and actions.

I'd make a really annoying backseat driver :lol:

Banged through lots of Air Law tests last night. It's going OK. Have to have a few days away to assist family for the rest of the week but I hope to find some study time.
tr7v8, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By tr7v8
t1m80 wrote:I think I'm now legit back on this forum having just bought a share in a two-seater out of Rochester. Stick not yoke, low-wing not high, Garmin G5 rather than just steam gauges. So I'll be learning to fly all over again!

Wot you bought into then?