Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sorry @Paul_Sengupta , you're too late to this party. I've just looked in the virtual cake tin and it's empty. Better luck next time.

Nice weather for flying. I am looking forward to it, of course, but a little concerned about how busy it will be today.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
Highland Park wrote:We have something similar for the Colt (which is quite a tall aircraft and the struts cannot be used as steps) when stepladders aren’t available.

Dear ARNE is such a benign aircraft that the only fraught moments ever involved ascending to check the fuel tanks visually or to pour some more avgas in. Really hazardous times.

Rob P
By JAFO
@Rob P - I was hoping to find out about ARNE for myself but it turns out that I just don't fit in. I am so preposterously proportioned that I can't sit up straight.

So, that's Jodels, Jabirus and Piper Colts that I'm too tall for. I might have to find a share in something open cockpit.
By Rob P
Awww... that's such a shame.

2 Donkeys is a man of generous size, towering above me as he does, yet managed to fit into him for two Raduno.

If you are to fit into the RV at any point I fear we will need to remove the cushions

Yak 52?

Rob P
JAFO liked this
By JAFO
It is a real shame, Rob. It wasn't even a close thing, though, and that was without a headset.

I am some kind of freak of nature. I'm just 6ft tall but with an inside leg of around 2 3/4 inches, it's all body.
By Paul_Sengupta
I am the same. I can just about fit in a PA28. A 172 or 150/152 is fine for headroom. Obviously I can fit in a Bulldog. There are many aircraft I can't fit in. Someone once tried to fit me in a Sting. "It's huge, try it." Well, with the canopy resting on my head it was still open at the back by about four inches. I tried a Breezer, I similarly had to turn my head sidewards into the middle of the canopy before it would close.

Rob P wrote: remove the cushions

Is that a diet euphemism?
Rob P, JAFO liked this
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote: I similarly had to turn my head sidewards into the middle of the canopy before it would close.

I used to do some work for Alpine, the car radio chaps. They had a Lamborghini Diablo as a promotional demo car.

Using all my powers of persuasion I was allowed it on (a brief) loan. In the event I was very pleased to give it back as with hands and feet in the correct position and the seat adjusted for the best driving position I could manage, my head had to tilt to the centre of the car to avoid the headlining massaging my scalp.

Rob P
By T6Harvard
So.... lesson 9. Ah, not as good as lesson 8.

I pulled into the car park just in time to hear a jet. Huh!? Bit unexpected at our small-ish airfield. Looked up in time to see a Jet Provost zooming in. They taxied to the far apron for parking so I never saw who was flying.

Lessons were running a bit behind time but it was lovely and sunny so I sat outside with a bunch of local avgeeks and some Aerobility clients. This, of course, meant I would have an audience later...

Sure enough 'my ' a/c was taxied to the grass in front of the little crowd and I was left to do the pre-flights. This time I felt I was back in the game and happily worked through the walk round, jumped up to the wing tanks, set the seat further forward (!) and had everything ready for the engine start-up checks by the time my instructor ambled over.

I hope the crowd thought it all looked very professional 8)

Checklists followed, radio call, lookout, enter runway, line up with nosewheel straight ( :mrgreen: ), full power, release brakes and start to roll. Watch t's n p's to ensure all OK, check speed (67 knots), pull back on yoke while applying right rudder. Easy, as you all know.
Only I was a bit feeble on the yoke, and there was virtually no headwind so it needed a bit more encouragement, then came the flying instructor's most used phrase down my right ear.... "More right rudder!". Take off was a bit ragged but the climb-out was OK. I am no longer scared of the take off run.

We did some practice from the prev lesson which went OK
I was fine at putting on full power and keeping the nose down, and conversely letting the speed bleed off before letting the nose drop for descent. So that was a relief and an improvement :)

My instructor had me doing quite a few turns and all except the first one were fine (first one I climbed about 200' due to an over exaggerated look out - as I moved in my seat I moved my hands on the control). All the rest were OK and drew no adverse comments :) .

Then new stuff was added, which went OK at first but there came a point where I simply couldn't remember what to do for the next manoeuvre!

We did best angle and cruise climbs, same for descents, then fast and slow cruises for straight and level. I'd had no pre- briefing so the numbers were given ad hoc and eventually I was overloaded. I simply couldn't bring forth the correct actions when instructed to do a cruise descent down to 1500'. I was going for carb heat, as I would for a lower power descent. The words task and saturated did mill round in my head.

There were a few pockets of turbulence too. The first few were a bit like going over a boat's wake but then we were really rocked all over the place and chucked up in the air momentarily. I had control but I tried not to over react, I know the aircraft is designed to return to the correct attitude if you don't interfer. My instructor didn't bat an eyelid so I assume this was nothing unusual but it was a first for me.

Shortly afterwards another pilot in the vicinity reported turbulence to let everyone know. Later my instructor said he thought it had been a pressure wave moving through. There were a few more bumps but not to the same degree. 

Towards the end of the lesson.....
I have only just learnt the rejoin checklist so to ask me to fly a cruise descent, level off at 2,000' for the rejoin, keep a good lookout, start the checklist, fly straight AND level, watch the power, align DI (obviously while straight and level), set QFE (after calculating how many 30' hPa's to knock off) and expect me to still be s&l at any point therein was, frankly, taking the P***.

To me that is like an Olympic standard patting head and rubbing tummy contest!!

I actually stopped the checklist part way through to review my s&l and do a proper lookout, then resumed when I had regained the datum attitude. It was all completed correctly, just with a small pause in the middle.

Then my head exploded. :lol:

So a bit of a Curate's egg - Good in parts... not good elsewhere.

The hard taskmaster said I'll look back and wonder why it was so hard but that all I really need to do is 'fly the numbers' and all will be fine. Simples :lol: :roll:

I can't wait for Monday. My instructor is probably not feeling quite as enthusiastic as I am.

Ooh, a historic moment came afterwards - I completed the first page of my logbook.

All in all a great time but it was hard. I seem to follow a pattern of one OK lesson followed by one less-OK lesson. Hope tomorrow's lesson is better :P
editmonkey, tr7v8 liked this
By MattL
Well done sounds like you are doing well!

Flying is really all about chunking up your time and tasks into lots of small segments / actions. You may be being taught something like lookout - attitude - instruments as a work cycle and the tasks you mention are just small actions in between lookout and flying. Eventually this ability to keep various plates spinning becomes second nature and sticks with you throughout your flying career!
T6Harvard liked this
By Jammy888
T6Harvard wrote:
I've flown it twice. It is only now that I see I previously mentioned being lighter on the controls in it.
Could be coincidence, could be that I made a better effort this week (it was very much on my mind!) or perhaps there is something subtly different about my position in the cockpit, who knows. I shall be interested to see if I can pinpoint anything.

I’d like to bet it was Lima Oscar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T6Harvard liked this
By Fellsteruk
Glad you enjoyed T6, learning anything has a one step forward and 10 back feel at times and flying is no exception with my own fair share of good and bad days.

I’ve had some lessons that have had me question if I can do this and should stop burnin money “learning to land consistently” was my nemisis.

Congrats on filling that first page, I’m sure your first solo isn’t too far away :) keep us posted love reading your posts.
T6Harvard, tr7v8 liked this