Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well just a reasonably short report (I hear your sighs of relief!).

I seem to have got over the habit of the first circuit being a duffer! It was fine. I flared slightly too high but realised and relaxed back pressure a tiny bit so all was well.

Coped with yet another blocked runway by announcing my position early and acknowledging visual with one on runway (although my Instructor pointed out there were in fact 2 because one taxied on as the other backtracked with a flat tyre :roll: ). Then I watched to see whether they'd clear in time. When that looked unlikely I announced going round in good time, so as not to scare anyone. It's a while since a go-around from that high, 300', so it was good practice for that as well as for situational awareness.

Remaining circuits were sound, approaches good, lots of little adjustments as and when, landing all on a scale from decent to good.

Confession - if we are being picky, I was just left of centreline a couple of times. No idea why that cropped up now, won't happen next time.

Debrief was that the finessing was good, any things going off target I was aware of and promptly correcting, no comments were needed while we were airborne, relatively minor issue of being left of the centreline twice, and my landing was good.

I say again, my landing was GOOD :mrgreen: Who'd a thought it?

A very varied flying year, not always in a good way, but finally proper, consistent progress so I'm a happy bunny.

Although..... I want some within-limits crosswind next time, so I can slay that, too :D

Next lesson in the New Year, practice EFATO :mrgreen:
Milty, JAFO, TopCat and 6 others liked this
By Milty
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

Now all you have to learn is to stop beating yourself up over minor things which I believe are normal for a student (being a ‘little bit’ left of centreline) and the world will be your lobster.

Looks like my lesson tomorrow will fall foul of the cloud base in Gloucester. Shame really as the wind looks like it was from the east so I was looking forward to my first circuits off 09 as I’ve only done 27 since I started.
By T6Harvard
JAFO wrote:@T6Harvard - you'd like it where I fly from, there's no centerline. :wink:

Well done, won't be long now before we get to celebrate your first solo.

See, that's the thing about the snowy lesson - no-one knew whether I was anywhere near the centreline or not :lol:

I'm still grinning from today. I left some Christmas goodies with the staff and some booze with my calm, patient Instructor, 'cos he deserves it!
Rob P, Milty, JAFO liked this
By russp
T6Harvard wrote:Confession - if we are being picky, I was just left of centreline a couple of times. No idea why that cropped up now, won't happen next time.

400 hrs in and I still consistently land left of centreline - I've simply stopped worrying about it - the narrower the runway is the closer I get!
Milty, T6Harvard, JAFO liked this
By T6Harvard
russp wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:Confession - if we are being picky, I was just left of centreline a couple of times. No idea why that cropped up now, won't happen next time.

400 hrs in and I still consistently land left of centreline - I've simply stopped worrying about it - the narrower the runway is the closer I get!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
By T6Harvard
TopCat wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:I say again, my landing was GOOD :mrgreen: Who'd a thought it?

Everyone but you. :pirat:

Ha, but you're wrong.... Instructor Number 1 didn't think it. Nevermind, she who laughs last laughs longest, eh?
bladerunner911 liked this