Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The secret is out - I was very fortunate to be awarded one of the British Women Pilots' Association 2021 scholarships.
I am now a fully-funded EasyPPL Groundschool member for all 9 theory courses, tests, mock exams and certificates of competence (well, hopefully the latter :D ).

Details of the awards are on the BWPA website.
bladerunner911, JAFO, lobstaboy and 15 others liked this
By T6Harvard
....so I've got to do it now :mrgreen:

I'll tell you what, it's years since I had to put forward a CV and an application and, in a first for me, they also wanted a video! It took ages to prep but in the end I went for enthusiasm and humour :mrgreen:
By T6Harvard
Video is on BWPA website. I'm the second one of the 2 EasyPPL Groundschool winners.

I am usually fairly animated when I talk, and I had to learn my lines so it all went a bit well...er....the sitting still and remembering hampered my presentation somewhat.
Basically, it looks like someone is holding a weapon to my head; I look terrified and a bit punch drunk. Probably not dissimilar to how I look at the controls :lol:
tr7v8, RobW, Rob P and 1 others liked this
By tr7v8
@T6Harvard Well done! Look forward tp hearimg your flying progress.
My Lesson cancelled today as windy & thunderstormy
By tr7v8
And yet another entry for my logbook for today. First time in 2 weeks when it wasn't lashing with rain. First lesson in 10 days or so. Apparently Rochester runway was 1" under water yesterday. Bright & sunny today with a 8-10 kt breeze, straight down the strip. So yet 6 t/o & landings today and 1 hour. Back to my normal instructor today, back from his holidays. Mental note never to book the same holiday as him as the weather has been appalling whilst he's been away. Getting much better, one landing was a bit naff when I flared too early but the rest were good. Still need to get the final bit of approach & flare right but better. Speed control could have been better. Did an EFATO, 3 glide approaches, 2 flapless & 2 flapped.
So now 35 lessons & 34 hours 45mins in.
Next lesson Saturday if the weather behaves. It looks to be getting better as the week goes on.
By T6Harvard
Lesson today was an earlier time than usual so I got to meet a few new folks and later spent a happy hour over lunch watching the very busy airfield. I compared notes with another student who described himself as 'not a natural pilot' and we agreed we are loving it anyway but it'll just take longer to work through the syllabus.
Later I was chatting to a lady waiting for an experience flight to return and she asked me if I was thinking of taking one. Of course I puffed out my feathers and said, "Oh no, I was flying this morning." :mrgreen:

When I met up with my Instructor I was surprised to find myself back in the circuit because last week was so poor we'd agreed to have a change and do the rest of Steep turns / recovery. If only I'd had time to practice flying circuits in the chair yesterday but family circs put paid to that so I was a bit various again, but a lot better than last week :)

First circuit, to go around, was OK although I was still faffing around on Base leg. After go-around I was being debriefed during climbout and did FERA OK but turned late as a result of thinking back to what I had/hadn't done on Base and Final, then it was messy on Downwind until I caught up.

I found that having MORE to do was better. I'm perfectly happy to operate the radio and found it more distracting when it was 'taken off me to free up capacity' on a previous lesson. So I jumped on the radio asap and possession being 9/10th of the law I was left to it throughout. Psychologically it helps me 'own' the flying, having all the responsibility.

I finally got the turning point from Downwind to Base more consistent, pathetic I know but it's been real bugbear, due largely to overthinking (worrying about what I have done / will do, instead of getting on with the task in hand).

A couple of times I forgot carb heat on Base, which was annoying because I should have that sorted out by now. I ended up expecting to get in a muddle there :oops: . Flying the chair will remedy that before next lesson.

My approaches were much better again, which just goes to show how distracted I was last week. I felt confident on all except one when I let the speed drop off - I think concrete-phobia took over and I raised the nose ever so slightly.

Although my Instructor did ask me how he could get inside my head at one point*, I do seem to have unearthed his slightly more patient side so I guess I am improving :mrgreen:
* not even the long-standing MrT6 has found out how to do that :lol:

Oh, for those wondering...nope, no all-me landings, but I have a secret remedy for that :wink: , although family circumstances have meant a change of date.

There were more positives than negatives to take away today and the bits I was ropey on are easily remedied so I am upbeat again.
At last :D
tr7v8, bladerunner911, t1m80 liked this