Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T6Harvard wrote:@tr7v8 , you are going for perfection then?! Sounds like you are doing really well, although I did re-read the 8 TO/ 5 Landings bit!

Yes sounds strange but this instructor deems take offs & landings that I put in my log book the ones I was totally involved in. He certainly took over the one I screwed up & we turned it into a go around.
By T6Harvard
tr7v8 wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:@tr7v8 , you are going for perfection then?! Sounds like you are doing really well, although I did re-read the 8 TO/ 5 Landings bit!

Yes sounds strange but this instructor deems take offs & landings that I put in my log book the ones I was totally involved in. He certainly took over the one I screwed up & we turned it into a go around.

I think that's correct way of doing it but I was originally told to put them all in, whether me or him. I decided to stick to only ones I did, it's a record,of my flying, after all.

Been there, done that :shock: The flashbacks have stopped now :mrgreen:

I am still surprised that last week's Instructor offered me another full afternoon in a few weeks' time. He wrote a post on his fb page about what we'd achieved in the lessons and said it was very fulfilling, helping students to develop. I am sure it is - being able to teach anything well is a gift, but blimey, nerves of steel.....
tr7v8, Rob P, t1m80 liked this
By tr7v8
That one in the hanger, that is very pretty. There is one needing a rebuild on AFORS at present which I keep looking at. Problem is you can't run it on a permit so I couldn't spanner it myself. I also don't have anywhere to keep it. Given that I haven't solo'd yet I will hang fire for a while.
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
@t1m80 was that you flying in it today? Saw you over my end of Chatham whilst out cycling. I'd have come to Rochester Airport to watch but I had a work commitment :-(
By t1m80
No not me I'm afraid, got the keys on the key hook at home and it's calling me but I'll need a few hours in it before I can be let loose. The group I'm in has more shares available so, if you get to the point that you're looking and you are interested then by all means shout. Happy to take you up in it regardless once I am comfortable with it.
tr7v8 liked this
By tr7v8
@t1m80 Oh yes please that would be great. I only leave about 2miles as the crow flies to RCS. I suspect any group membership will be next year unless I miraculously shoot through my training. I have seen it a few times at RCS and have always liked the look of them. Years ago (56 or so) there was one on the Isle of Wight I remember taking photos of and as an 8 year old talking to the owner.
t1m80 liked this
By tr7v8
Flying lesson cancelled today as the wind in Chatham was horrific. Started OK then was gusting 30kts+ this afternoon. Plus some torrential rain on & off. Lets hope next Tuesday is good.
By T6Harvard
It's OK, Tuesday's wx will be fine. I have a lesson booked :mrgreen:

Revising and tests are continuing, slightly (well a lot) disrupted by a family crisis. Whether or not I get a pilot's licence I now know for certain I'll never be a medic. I'm fairly good in a crisis but I lack the bedside manner :pale:
tr7v8 liked this
By tr7v8
I am married to a 35 year qualified nurse. You don't get sympathy & if I am ill then she loses it, Not sure about her bedside manner,
T6Harvard liked this
By Jammy888
T6Harvard wrote:It's OK, Tuesday's wx will be fine. I have a lesson booked :mrgreen:

Revising and tests are continuing, slightly (well a lot) disrupted by a family crisis. Whether or not I get a pilot's licence I now know for certain I'll never be a medic. I'm fairly good in a crisis but I lack the bedside manner :pale:

T6, long time no speak. Manic my side and lack of lessons :?

I’m flying Tuesday @ 13:30 Solo nav ex. Let me know what time you are there, I am travelling early to get planning and some photos with my new camera :D
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Oh, great. I have a lesson at Noon but I'll be there about 11am...... you will recognise my short round personage so collar me when I rock up.
I shall be bringing cake. Can't say why yet - it's a secret until 8am tomorrow when press releases go out :mrgreen:

Where are you going on your trip??
By Jammy888
That sounds good!

I am not sure what time I expect to be there but if I can I will get some snaps!

And that sounds great! I hope I get some before the office staff have opportunity to steal it again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
Lesson cancelled today :-(
No aircraft, gone tech (alternator) and instructor due medical as well...... Oh dear!
By T6Harvard
.... @tr7v8 But the wx was good, as predicted 8)

My lesson was an important one, about being in the right frame of mind or rather...... not being in the right frame of mind.

I was behind the aircraft from shortly after TO, almost the whole lesson. I should have taken more notice of the 'Im Safe' personal checks as to fitness to fly. I now realise that some sad news received early this morning unexpectedly impacted my performance. As my nephew would say, 'My head was cabbaged'.
So I shall better consider the check next time-
Illness, Medication, Stress, Alcohol, Fatigue, Emotions. It was the emotions wot done for me.

Anyhoo, I stayed on after my lesson and watched my Instructor take an enthusiastic young woman for a 20 mins aero experience. They were mostly in sight of the field and he threw it about non-stop. I chatted to her relative as we watched and waited for them to return. The victim loved it and was last seen grinning from ear to ear, telling everyone she is going to book again.
tr7v8, Paul_Sengupta liked this