Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
tr7v8 wrote:The 172 is faster than a 152 so this is possibly a part of this, I don't know.

The later model 172s are more tricky beasts to land, especially with two blokes up front and no one in the back. The 152 is much easier to land.

AndyR wrote:@T6Harvard , the clock code tends to work better I find. Between 7:30 and 8 o’clock as starters.

Mains between 8 and 8:30?

I suspect the 30 degree thing at the moment is due to needing more time to set up on a longer final in these early stages.

The 152 (and 172) nosewheel isn't castoring as such, but it is attached to the rudder with springs, which can make taxying smoother than, say, in a PA28 where early efforts can be a bit like trying to steer a wheelbarrow.
By VRB_20kt
Check with your instructor - but typically when the threshold is 45 degrees behind the wing you look for a feature to turn onto, lookout both sides and in front and then make the turn. Having made the turn then look for the threshold being 45 degrees in front of the wing (usually straightaway!!!) and reduce power (you’ll have a figure in mind for your aircraft - perhaps around 1,700 rpm ) but maintain altitude. The aircraft will slow. When the aircraft speed is within the white arc set one or two stages of flap and then when the speed has slowed to the one you’re after for descending, set the attitude for descent and only then trim.

There is a often a height check at 30 degrees to the runway which may be what you’re recalling.

All of the above is merely my opinion. Your instructor will tell you exactly what (s)he wants.

Most instructors will be delighted if you take an interest and ask for clarification if you’re not sure or you forget. It may be helpful to draw your own diagram of what you think you should be doing and ask your instructor to critique it.

Do report back the details you’re told.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
The case for the defence -

Have found the school circuit planning guide so here is the gospel. From turning downwind it states,
... call downwind to land / touch & go
... perform pre-landing checks
... RWY 30° behind trailing edge turn base
(base leg)
... CH hot, reduce pwr, maintain height
... RWY at 45°, add 2 stages flap, pitch fwd for speed, adjust pwr to control RoD
.... Final, wings level ....etc

Good revision for my homework, thanks all!
By T6Harvard
Miscellaneous wrote:
VRB_20kt wrote:Are you certain that your instructor said 30 degrees behind the wing when turning from downwind to base leg?

That's what I thought, I just wasn't brave enough to question @T6Harvard. :shock: :D

@Miscellaneous Probably wise :lol:
See above explanation :mrgreen:
By T6Harvard
Confused? You should see me trying to do it!

Just looked at TAF and Windy - looks like I may be having a duvet day tomorrow :(

By Miscellaneous
Simples, just turn it through 90* anticlockwise and you're sorted. :thumright:

Is it my confusion, or does the diagram and notes indicate different things? IE the diagram does not shown turning base at 30° as I read it. :?
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Agggghhh. Today's lesson was truly awful! A multitude of poor manoeuvres in the training area, too much time spent evading low cloud, and then 2 poor circuits. The only saving grace was some decent slow flight including good level turns and much better use of rudder some of the time. I pretty much wasted my money on this lesson.

The consolation was that I did get to have a couple of cups tea and a natter with a friendly forumite who was visiting the airfield :D
By Miscellaneous
T6Harvard wrote:I pretty much wasted my money on this lesson.

I disagree, days like today are inevitable. You had to experience it eventually. Won't be quite so frustrating next time. :D
UncleT, JAFO liked this
By T6Harvard
Miscellaneous wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:I pretty much wasted my money on this lesson.

I disagree, days like today are inevitable. You had to experience it eventually. Won't be quite so frustrating next time. :D

Next time!? Oh gawd.
By Crash one
T6 Harvard
Just read the whole story. Brilliant write ups, keep it up you’re doing fine.
A few more hours in and you will be thinking, “How the hell did I think this was difficult”.
You drive your car, you want to park on the right hand side of the road, check mirrors, change down, check your parking spot, turn a bit right while stubbing out the cigarette, cross the road, line up 3inches from the kerb and stop.
Rotate that picture 90 deg clockwise. Piece of cake, when the cake is ready please! :D
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
@Crash one , I must admit that last evening I was clinging onto the fact that reverse parking into a bay and parallel parking are skills I retain!!! Thank you for the kind words. Happy to provide cake anytime :D

@leiafee , thank you, too. I love 'a flipping thriumph' - I shall apply that phrase to something (anything that goes OK!) in my next lesson and smile whenever I think of it :mrgreen:
leiafee liked this