Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
AndyR wrote:It does depend on the individual and on any breaks in training, but generally a couple of hours solo consolidation.
Exercise 14 First Solo and solo consolidation

First solo

During flights immediately following the solo circuit consolidation the following should be revised:
Leaving the circuit
Local area procedures,
map reading
Cruise checks
Use of the compass
Use of radio navigation aids for homing
Re joining the circuit

What exactly is 'solo consolidation'?

~ Scott
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
First Solo is generally a single circuit. However you need to build confidence while your instructor watches from afar (with a pre-brief) being able to do circuits on your own and do simple exercises on your own (leaving and entering a circuit, perhaps stalling, practice forced landings, practice nav).
It will depend on weather conditions and local airport conditions (such as whether you already need to know Nav to get to your location to do circuits) so best to talk to your instructor about what is likely to happen when.
Nero liked this
By Artschool
after solo, I remember starting x country flights dual to the likely airfields that I might encounter for my x country qualifier. then I repeated a few flights solo but to a single airfield. then I did the x country flight after a lot of faffing about waiting for the weather to be right.