Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By tommyp1441
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi all

Joined a week or so ago, I've been wanting to learn to fly for years, but (like most I assume) never had both the time and the money (and some would argue...) to commit to the PPL.

However, I'm now at the point where it makes sense to start learning, and I'm absolutely beaming. I'm not far from Rougham, so once Skyward are open to new learners again I'll head down and book a couple of hours. I've been reading with interest the 'don't commit up front' and 'choose the right training school first' threads, so it makes sense to hold off pulling the trigger for a while - but if anyone has any opinions I'm absolutely up for a listen and perhaps a socially-appropriate catch-up to discuss.

I used to work over at Marshall (the 4-wheel side, not the winged bit) so Cambridge is another option, although a 40 min drive rather than a 10-minute one...not massive in the grand scheme of things, but I like to be sensible where possible.

Aside from 'do I like you' and 'what is the cake like' type questions, is there anything else that you're experienced that's thrown you (good or bad)?

Tom
T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
I'm locally based (Tibenham) but a long way from student days I'm afraid.

What I've heard of Rougham of late has all been positive and given your position can't see any reason to travel to Cambridge in preference.

Cessna571, a regular poster here, is a Rougham alumni

Good luck with your course and welcome

Rob P
tommyp1441, F70100 liked this
By Highland Park
I have no particular views or experience about the school at Rougham, although it is a lovely grass strip. All I would say though, is that just because it’s closest, don’t disregard others out of hand. It might be sensible to “try before you buy” at several organisations to see which outfit (and aircraft) suits you best. Other than Rougham and Cambridge, off the top of my head you also have Old Buckenham (where I learned) and Crowfield and no doubt others, dependent on exactly where you live.

Check exactly what is and isn’t included in the pricing and don’t also forget to factor in the costs of your medical (get that sorted and confirmed that there are no medical issues that would prevent you obtaining a licence before you commit to any lessons, other than perhaps a trial lesson) and ground exams.

Others will no doubt have other points, but assuming your medical proves ok, good luck, enjoy every minute and welcome to aviation poverty... :D

Ian
By T6Harvard
Welcome Tom!

I recently joined the forum and am awaiting my second lesson (first was at the beginning of march. Doh.

I have found lots of useful info and been given lots of advice on here, as you will, too.

Keep us informed?
tommyp1441 liked this
By tommyp1441
Thank you all for the immensely useful info already - the medical is something I hadn’t had the ‘what if’ thought...having been lucky enough to (so far) be relatively fit and healthy, hadn’t even considered that it might kybosh everything...a really useful addition, thanks Ian.

T6Harvard: Glad your first flight was good, can you tell us if you’re going to cause a global pandemic next time you fly though? I’d like to try and get a couple of hours in beforehand! :thumright: will certainly try and keep things documented, but I can’t promise anything!

Rob P, thanks for the info - I had done some digging on Rougham but good to know that feedback is positive. I’ll certainly give a couple of other places a whizz though, just in case
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Ha,ha! Ironically my lesson was abroad and my instrutor said, "You'll have your licence by the time I see you again next year".

What hooked me was 1) my first flight was an experience flight, pilot actually gave a lesson so I learned about the instruments and reading them properly, trim, etc, I got do gentle turns, and then he did some aeros :D . It was a taildragger and we used a grass runway so there was even more interest!
2) my real lessson was very scenic, from an international airport with a mahoosive runway (albeit with a displaced threshold) and I loved being in the air. I got to do lots of turns, tried to fly straight and level (straight was hilariously not straight at first!), some gentle climbs / descents, and then to follow through right to touchdown. There were plenty of radio calls to listen to as it was, obviously, controlled airspace.

Afterwards I just had two thoughts.... I loved it & I could better next time :D

I'm always up for a challenge but I have picked an expensive one.

Have you got stuck into the theory during lockdown? I'm checking my progress via Airquiz.
By tommyp1441
T6Harvard wrote:Ha,ha! Ironically my lesson was abroad and my instrutor said, "You'll have your licence by the time I see you again next year".
:cry:

I've been lucky enough to have a go in some cool stuff over the years (god I sound old) - some fancy vintage stuff when I was in the cadets, my dad's mate had a PA38 (and I had a couple of lessons in one back when Panshanger was open) but the highlight in SEP was a 260 Firefly flown by a chap who was an Army Air Corps Instructor. I only barfed once, and he worked that thing unbelievably hard...incredible experience.

Lockdown has been interesting - been super busy with work, but now things are heading back to normal, it's given me a bit more time to jump on the theory, checklists, repetition, etc.

It sounds like your flight was great fun - and I agree with the challenger mentality. There's certainly something to be said for goal-setting, mindset and the like. Keep up the good work, and I really hope you get back in the air regularly, and soon :thumleft:
By lobstaboy
Welcome!
I'm sure you'll be fine with the medical but if not it doesn't necessarily kybosh everything. It's possible to get an NPPL with what is called a pilots medical declaration - this is just done online and broadly speaking if you are fit enough to drive you can get to fly this way. It limits the type of flying you can do a bit, but for most people who fly for fun it isn't a problem (different story altogether for people aiming at a career). But yes, get the medical done so you know the score first off.
I've also only heard good things about Rougham and they seem a great bunch when I've dropped in.
Go and spend time at places near you. Have trial lessons, but also hang around talking to people (staff, students, club members, visitors, anybody really) to soak up the 'vibe'. Does it feel good to you? Remember you are going to be spending your leisure time and loads of money doing this- you must enjoy it for itself not just as a means to an end.
As usual: don't pay up front!
tommyp1441, T6Harvard liked this
By PeteSpencer
Rougham has come on in leaps and bounds since Skyward moved from Gt Oakley.

I often dream about our group aeroplane being based there as it is 5 minutes drive from my house , but sadly it’s not to be .

Chris S-R has taken over a thriving outfit and now hangarage is available expansion is assured

Rougham or Cambridge ? No brainier - Rougham every time.....

Good luck and keep posting

Peter
tommyp1441, Cessna571 liked this
By Cessna571
I trained at Rougham about 4 years ago.
I believe the instructor I had may have moved on, but I’d have no hesitation in recommending them still.

I’ve flown in a few times and even took part in a spot landing competition there one day!

(That’s harder than you think)

Have fun, let us know how it went.
tommyp1441, Rob P liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Cessna571 wrote:even took part in a spot landing competition there one day!

(That’s harder than you think)

Nah! I won 5th prize at the one at Compton Abbas once.

I wasn't trying and didn't even see the cones! ;-)

I was just sitting outside having a cuppa when someone said to me, "Is that you?" and pointed at the winners' board...
mick w liked this
By ROG
Pete S---Agreed. I "ve been in there a few times---always welcoming--cup of tea and biscuit----
good PR.
Actually phoned up today -unfortunately advised not yet open to visitors.
Beleive Great Oakley is up for sale ---nice strip which seemed to have political problems.