Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By townleyc
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would also agree - I was flying there last year to get my SSEA renewed, although with the same instructor as Cessna571 knew.

Good club, with some good instructors.

I like the CFI - Chris Shepherd-Rose

PM me if you need any more information

KE
tommyp1441 liked this
By tommyp1441
It’s been just over a month since my first post and I can honestly say I am the grumpiest I’ve ever been (probably.)

2 lessons booked and both cancelled due to poor weather, next two booked for Friday and Saturday this week and it looks like another wash-out over the weekend. I now understand why people learn to fly abroad and come back to the UK to convert.

However, reading The invaluable advice from @JAFO about how it’s definitely not a great idea to get grumpy the further away from flying you get :wink: this might be ok.

Does anyone ever get to fly in August or do you just write it off as monsoon season?

On the plus side, the team at Rougham are great. It’s small, but friendly and very hands-on so learning by experiencing (definitely my learning style) is a given.

More updates as I get them. Probably in September once the hurricanes have got bored, or the sacrifices to the weather gods get bigger.

Tom
By Nero
Hi Tom

Fellow student here although based in South London

I recently visited Bury St E. but couldn't convince my mob to visit the Rougham ATC museum. So instead I've plotted a route to it on SkyDemon and it's on my (long) list of places to go post-PPL :)

All the best in your training and, unfortunately, weather really is a killer of dreams but you just have to plough on. I missed about 6-8 weeks over Winter 2019 because of various issues with weather, instructors, life, etc! It comes with the PPL territory :)
tommyp1441 liked this
By Hazel C
Welcome to the forum Tom, and the wonderful world of aviation!

I have no experience of Rougham, but as you are also considering Cambridge, have yo thought of Little Gransden? I'm currently doing my Tailwheel Differences training with British Aero Academy on their Cessna 140. They also have a few Extras (havent worked out how many yet!)and two Grobs, so do ab initio training too.

Lovely set up, lovely friendly grass airfield. They will be moving to Fenland or Fowlmere in due course (not sure when). But theres another suggestion for you.

Good luck...! :D
tommyp1441 liked this
By tommyp1441
Hazel C wrote:Welcome to the forum Tom, and the wonderful world of aviation!

I have no experience of Rougham, but as you are also considering Cambridge, have yo thought of Little Gransden? I'm currently doing my Tailwheel Differences training with British Aero Academy on their Cessna 140. They also have a few Extras (havent worked out how many yet!)and two Grobs, so do ab initio training too.

Lovely set up, lovely friendly grass airfield. They will be moving to Fenland or Fowlmere in due course (not sure when). But theres another suggestion for you.

Good luck...! :D

Thanks Hazel!

Tailwheel sounds fun already, and I’ve got a mate with a Chipmunk over at Old Warden so fingers crossed one day I’ll be allowed to have a play in that.

Extras look awesome and I’d love to do some more upside down once I’m PPL’d - thanks for the info.
Hazel C liked this
By tommyp1441
Nero wrote:Hi Tom

Fellow student here although based in South London

I recently visited Bury St E. but couldn't convince my mob to visit the Rougham ATC museum. So instead I've plotted a route to it on SkyDemon and it's on my (long) list of places to go post-PPL :)

All the best in your training and, unfortunately, weather really is a killer of dreams but you just have to plough on. I missed about 6-8 weeks over Winter 2019 because of various issues with weather, instructors, life, etc! It comes with the PPL territory :)

Good work! Bury is a lovely little town. Been following your progress so once you’ve got your licence pop up and we can eat cake and drink coffee there, or head to Duxford as there’s plenty to see there.

Still hoping for a gap in the weather for Friday/Saturday but Simon’s report really isn’t looking too promising. Fingers and toes crossed.
By tommyp1441
Well, it's been a while, but finally managed to get lesson two nailed today. Last-minute cancellation and a cheeky morning off work sorted me out, and has given me a much-needed boost after a long and wet couple of weeks.

Firstly, thanks to @F70100 for a great first lesson at the beginning of September. It feels like forever ago, but I really enjoyed our little land-away at Earls Colne and the flight back! It was great to get an hour and a half in the log book (first since 2001...oops) doing primary effects on a beautiful clear day with fantastic vis.
Today was a bit breezy, with the wind almost straight down runway 27, which made for a really good fun and bumpy start, but about 2000ft lovely and smooth. A bit of cloud dodging but mainly straight and level (ish - lots of trim practise needed) and a final little circuit as we returned with 5 mins to spare. It's made me realise how much muscle memory and habits need to be nailed on early - lots happening on downwind/base/final, but that's (officially) a way off yet.
I'm not firmly bitten by the bug and properly in love, and can't wait for a couple of weeks time when I've got a week of leave booked, and five lessons in six days...and probably garbage weather given my current track record.

For anyone looking for recommendations on the team at Rougham & Skyward - just do it. Lovely bunch of people and it'll make you very hands-on - my first experience fuelling my 'own' aeroplane today, and plenty of encouragement to get stuff done myself. Thanks Clive for today, and John for the last lesson five weeks ago!
JAFO, T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Great to hear you had a good lesson. I was going to go head to head with you as my second lesson was yester! But while you have a week off to fly I have a week off to visit relatives, no flying involved :(
By tommyp1441
T6Harvard wrote:Great to hear you had a good lesson. I was going to go head to head with you as my second lesson was yester! But while you have a week off to fly I have a week off to visit relatives, no flying involved :(

I was going to reply to your thread earlier @T6Harvard - glad to have someone at the same point at me so we can compare notes!

Sounds like you had a cracker yesterday, the weather was pretty awful here yesterday but much better today. I’m 100% certain that most (if not all) will be cancelled as that’s my current average...but it’s the long game we’re in it for, right?! Shall we book the skills test on the same day too?! :thumright:
By T6Harvard
The thing is @tommyp1441 .... my instructor is a real stickler for getting stuff right almost immediately and certainly before he has to tell me twice! If you Googled the definition of 'not suffering fools gladly' his photo would be right there. So I have to raise my game :shock:

BTW, have you passed any exams yet? Just asking :wink:
By tommyp1441
That’s the best way though: learn it right, drill it, and it’ll become second nature...the right way. You’ll be fine! No exams done yet, no. Spent a couple of weeks away reading Air Law (about 368544785 times) and I’ve been doing lots of practise exams for it on PPL Tutor, but nothing book or taken yet. Have you done any? I’m also considering getting my medical done now, so it’s out the way, but will see what happens.

When’s your next booking?
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
No exams done or booked. Have listened to forumite Liea and am biding my time while ePPL beds in! Have done lots of reading and keep checking how I am retaining stuff on PPLTutor and Air Quiz.

Next lesson, unfortunately not till 26 Oct, at 3pm!! I am going to ring the school 'cos that will be too late after the clocks have changed! They couldn't fit me in on any other dates in Oct due to backlog of gift flights being booked in.......Have more booked in November but realise they are booked more in hope than expectation!
By JAFO
@T6Harvard, they seem to have a very interesting take on whose business is more important: the one-off hour or the committed student who is offering them many hours of instructional flights and, perhaps, many years of renting.

Very odd.