Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By oldbiggincfi
malcolmfrost wrote:My parents bought me the extra 5 hours for £50 :D
2 months to retirement at 65 :(

65 -17 =48

Blimey! that was 48years ago

1972 - where did that time go ?

Probably could hire the same aeroplane you did your training in now .

Modified of course, to make them difficult to fly .
T6Harvard liked this
By flyingearly
One other thing to add - hopefully it's useful - is to remark that taking the time to do your PPL means you will be exposed to a much greater range of flying scenarios and conditions, which (arguably) makes you a more rounded pilot.

You could go to Florida and bash out your PPL in a week, which will ensure that you are very well qualified to fly in whatever the conditions were in Florida at that time of year.

But, take it a bit slower and the experiences gained tend to differ; when I look back I think of:

Thermic, bumpy conditions in summer with the handling challenges this gave me
Poorer weather in winter, lots of decision-making about flyability
Windier days in Autumn, helping me practice my cross-wind landings
Late summer evenings, with the sun low, spotting traffic
In the summer (particularly), planning routes to avoid airshows and restricted airspace
In early Spring, contending with poor runway conditions due to wet winters
Hot weather, thinking about takeoff performance
Weekends, dealing with busier airspace and honeypot circuits
Weekdays, when things are quieter
etc etc

Of course, that's not to say you won't get it at other times of the year, but just that if your course spans a year, you get to see a much broader range of conditions than you might if you churn out your learning in a short space of time.

FWIW, it took me 3 years to get my NPPL and while I would have liked to have completed it quicker, finances prevented it and I think I enjoyed the range of different scenarios that gave me.
UncleT, T6Harvard, zie liked this
By RisePilot
I did my FAA PPL(H) in Florida over 5 trips from the UK over four months (Nov-Feb). Then did the extra training needed for my JAA PPL(H) (JAA was predecessor to EASA for the younger readers) over the next three months (I only needed 5 hrs instrument-awareness training and prep for check ride).

As for the written exams, I knocked them out straight away. I sat the FAA single exam on my first full day in the US and did my JAA exams (all 8 in two weeks). This made for much more relaxed training as it was then all about the flying; no need to set aside time for the exams. Unless you are a particularly slow learner, there is no need to have to spend that much time on the ground exams.

Why the Florida training/trips? It was late 2005 and the Dollar/Pound rate was 2:1 so a £10k savings which more than paid for my Florida trips.

In brief, crush the ground exams then take your time and enjoy the flight training.