Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Beaker
I've noticed a number of danger areas have OCNL mentioned. e.g. Lyme Bay off the Dorset coast is shown as D012/18.0 OCNL/25.0. Does anyone know what OCNL stands for? My first thought would be occasional, but that doesn't quite make sense to me; a lower limit of 18,000ft AMSL occasionally up to 25,000ft AMSL? So what is it the rest of the time then? Anyway, I'm a bit stuck on that one if anyone knows :)
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It means surface to 18000 feet, occasionally 25,000 feet.
There is a notam when the height increases.

To find more info, go to the AIP:
https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/P ... en-GB.html

On the left, expand the tree below ENR 5 (navigation warnings) and select ENR 5.1 Prohibited and danger areas.
You'll find full information about your example.

AMC - Manageable.

Vertical Limits: OCNL notified to ALT 25000.

Activity: Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives / Para Dropping / Target Towing / Unmanned Aircraft System (VLOS/BVLOS).

Service: DACS: Plymouth Military on 124.150 MHz when open; at other times, Swanwick Mil via London Information on 124.750 MHz. DAAIS: London Information on 124.750 MHz.

Contact: Pre-flight information / Booking: Plymouth Operations, Tel: 01752-557550.

Remarks: For DACS contact Plymouth Military south of 500000N.

Danger Area Authority: HQ Navy.

Hours: Mon-Thu 0800-2359 (0700-2300), Fri 0800-1600 (0700-1500); and as activated by NOTAM.
Beaker, tcc1000 liked this
By Aerials
Delving a little deeper, where are the abbreviations explained? From the of D012 for example - AMC - Manageable (Manageable, what does that mean to pilots?) Another I have seen liberally distributed on that page is AWR. I have yet to experience a DACS so I'd like to know what there is to know before I do!
By GrahamB
Aerials wrote:Delving a little deeper, where are the abbreviations explained? From the of D012 for example - AMC - Manageable (Manageable, what does that mean to pilots?) Another I have seen liberally distributed on that page is AWR. I have yet to experience a DACS so I'd like to know what there is to know before I do!

The AIP GEN 2.2 is a good place to start.