Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Flyingkeyboard
skydriller wrote:
Flyingkeyboard wrote:I might take up paragliding

Good luck social distancing strapped to the instructor on your first flight or two... :lol:

They don’t instruct that way, more ‘here’s a big slope, now run!’ :)
By skydriller
Flyingkeyboard wrote:They don’t instruct that way, more ‘here’s a big slope, now run!’ :)

I seem to remember my first couple of Paragliding flights were tandem with a short run to inflate and then off a cliff at about 6000ft ...but this was the Pyrenees...:lol:
By Nero
I was so close to going solo before this happened... My instructor left just prior to all this and I thought that was the worst news that could happen! How wrong I was.

Whilst walking around the block last week, I saw a driving instructor conducting a lesson wearing a mask and gloves, and I immediately wondered if this would be possible in a plane? Headset would be a pain. :(

Disinfectant spray for controls, masks, sunglasses, gloves, thermal testing - possibilities?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
By T6Harvard
Good question! OK, not in my top 10 questions about life but important consideration in relation to flying.

It was brought home to me by a local FI contracting CV19. He was seriouly ill but thankfully has fully recovered.

There are precautions and it is worth putting it into perspective. Is the closeness and confined space much different to some other situations, as said above, driving instructor or standing on a production line shoulder to shoulder? Maybe it is - can't drive with the windows down though?! Very close quarters, sharing the same air...

PPE? Happy to wear a mask and sunnies, not sure how effective a basic mask is but better than nothing if both parties wear them. Gloves? Personally I'd rather rely on handwashing but would wear if required. Fairly easy to wipe down all controls before and after. Assume it would be safer and easier to insist on own personal headset though. I have read talk of UV wands to 'clean' inside a/c but the read a report of the dangers and inefficiency of same...

Ask beforehand to declare symptoms but this is a weak point for obvs reasons. Yes, have temp taken by modern no-touch thermometer, although that is prob ineffective in early stages of illness and still leaves asymptomatic folk drifting in....

Won't put me off entirely, but I would want to see the flying school's procedures in action before I booked any lessons.

PS - I reckon an FI who has aready had CV19 is the safest bet!
By TLRippon
T6Harvard wrote:....

PS - I reckon an FI who has aready had CV19 is the safest bet!

Even though that FI may have antibodies which are fighting the infection and may not be actively allowing the virus to multiply in their body, they are still able to pick up the virus from a surface and transfer it to another surface in the same way a non infected FI could before the virus enters their body.

I'm struggling to understand why it is widely thought that a person who has antibodies can't infect you.
A person who has antibodies has a greater chance of not being infected themselves.
By Miscellaneous
TLRippon wrote:A person who has antibodies has a greater chance of not being infected themselves.

And arguably is more likely to infect others over a longer period as they will not develop symptoms?

Interesting thought. :shock:
T6Harvard liked this