Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Thanks PaulB.

I imagine interested people will read the doc but perhaps worth emphasising that the extension to 24 months only applies to those who have already taken at least one exam and it is only currently applicable until 18 Sept 2020.
I have brought this up with the CAA. The standards document (11) dictates how we do TK exams. There seems to be little wriggle room there unless a very broad interpretation is taken of invigilation and premises etc.
I am convinced TK exams can be fairly and easily conducted remotely.
Given that the trial for online exams is (supposed to be) underway I doubt whether anything will be put in place.
Its a shame as currently my school has almost zero income apart from the odd tenner for online ground school.
I wanted to study the Pooleys books and sit the exams without going through a training organisation. This CAA document says that is not possible. You have to go through a training organisation.

There is an online school who will put you forward for the exams, but you have to rent their training materials first, for which they charge £10 per subject per month. Once subscription ends, you lose access to the study material.
T6Harvard liked this
keith555 wrote:I wanted to study the Pooleys books and sit the exams without going through a training organisation. This CAA document says that is not possible. You have to go through a training organisation.

There is an online school who will put you forward for the exams, but you have to rent their training materials first, for which they charge £10 per subject per month. Once subscription ends, you lose access to the study material.

If you're ready to take the exams following self-study, then all you need to do is to take a month's membership at an ATO, convince the ATO that you are indeed ready (either by passing a 'progress test' or by conversation), and then take the exams. The cost of the exams will be rather greater than the month's membership.
T6Harvard liked this
scd975 wrote:If you're ready to take the exams following self-study, then all you need to do is to take a month's membership at an ATO, convince the ATO that you are indeed ready (either by passing a 'progress test' or by conversation), and then take the exams. The cost of the exams will be rather greater than the month's membership.

Thanks. I'll probably do that. I'm currently abroad, and I was originally hoping to be able to take them online from here, one-by-one, but as someone pointed out, that's not possible. Even if you're taking them online, you have to be in a controlled environment with an invigilator,
T6Harvard liked this