Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
During my ground school exam studies, the first Q-codes that I had to remember were QFE and QNH.

At the time, I had no idea what they represented or stood for and was trying to figure out a way of remembering what each one meant.

I've since learnt that the code has no relation to the meaning ... which is helpful (correct me if I'm wrong?)

Anyway, I went with:

- QFE = (height above) Field Elevation
- QNH = Nautical Height (i.e. above sea level)

That's become a bit unstuck now that I'm doing the Communications exam and suddenly presented with QTE, QDM and QDR as I can't think of anything useful to remember them by.

I wondered how you folks remembered them during your studies? :?:
By PaulB
QSY "See ya!" (may be?)
flybymike, Dusty_B liked this
By Nero
Paul_Sengupta wrote:QDM - Direction Magnetic
QDR - Direction Relative or Direction Reverse

Maybe?

QTE - True, er something.

Yes I was sort of using these

DM Direction Magnetic to
DR - DiRection from
TE - TruE from

Just don't seem to be cementing in my head like FE and NH did :)
By David Wood
The only ones you really need to worry about are QDM and QDR. In the real world you never hear QTE or QUJ.

I've no idea what the origins of QDM and QDR are, but I always suggest to students that the simplest way of getting them the right way round is to remember that the R in QDR matches the R in Radial; and radials are always given as the angle outwards from the beacon or whatever. So QDM is the other one!
Nero liked this
By cockney steve
Could the "R" be "Reciprocal " (as it's apparently the opposite of the opposite of the "current value) ?
Just askin' out of curiosity. have long been intrigued by this particular branch of "jargon"
By JAFO
Steve - you can make up whatever you like to remember it but I don't think they were created with a meaning in mind.
By Nero
David Wood wrote:I always suggest to students that the simplest way of getting them the right way round is to remember that the R in QDR matches the R in Radial; and radials are always given as the angle outwards from the beacon or whatever. So QDM is the other one!

Yes that works:

QDR - Direction Radial ... QDM is the other one, or Direction Magnetic as in the heading
QTE - True From ... QUJ is the other one

That's probably as good as it's going to get :)
By scd975
QUJ: True To the Queen and the Union Jack
QTE: True Emanating
QDM: the one that you always use to find your way (Mag To)
QDR: the reciprocal of QDM (Mag From)
By Irv Lee
I do a frtol course and whilst I can cover why the other 3 are or were used, I have never come up with a practical reason why QUJ exists except that it must, mathematically
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By Nero
Maybe that's why it has a particularly random Q code

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
By Irv Lee
I have wondered if quj was anything to do with some of the ancient pre gps "where am I?" systems, the equivalent of qdm for them.