Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Adam_R
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have EASA PPL and will be going out to the states in March for a flying holiday. Whilst not immediately, I would like to get a CPL in the future.

Is it simply logbook evidence for the 300nm XC? Can it be done any country? It seems a waste to go out and not get that distance done when I have the time and opportunity.

Thanks! :thumleft:
Logbook evidence was good enough for me also.

Be aware of of the *precise* requirements and ensure that you unambiguously meet them. If you may at some point plan on an FAA CPL , ensure you meet those too as they are different.

G
By Nick T
I have a mild interest in this (I'm not intending to get a CPL, but may change my mind in the future)... the requirements on the CAA website say...

"100 hours as PIC, of which 20 hours of cross-country flight as PIC, which shall include a VFR cross-country flight of at least 540km (300 NM), in the course of which full stop landings at two aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure must be made."

Earlier this year I flew Stapleford -> Calais (94.6nm according to the log).
then another PPL flew us from Calais to Rochefort
then I flew us from Rochefort -> Carcassonne (229.2nm according to the log).

Which is a cross country flight (well, multiple flights... but so is flying Nottingham to Turweston (getting out to pay landing fees) to Stapleford (getting out to pay landing fees) to Nottingham), with two full stop landings at two aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure, and the total distance flown by me was 323.8nm. *But*, someone else did a 'leg' in the middle.

Does anyone know if this would be acceptable / has anyone done the same and had it accepted? (All this was done on the same day - as I know there have been questions on this in the past)
By QSD
The CAA were very understanding when I went for my CPL 10 years ago. They allowed me to use the 300nm solo cross country that I flew in Wisconsin as an FAA student. Log book only evidence only.