Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Tannah
Looking at doing a trial flight/lesson to see if my long held dream of learning to fly is something I'll actually enjoy,

I live close to Leeds Bradford airport, but as far as I can tell they don't do training flights there anymore (apart from helicopters).

Can anyone recommend where I should go?

I'm pretty keen to have a go at taking the controls (not just being a passenger) in case that changes anything; I've been doing lots of reading on the theory, plus trying to learn as much as I can in simulators.
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Breighton (near Selby). Lovely folk, decent aircraft and great prices. It's a good grass field and the Yorkshire Wolds are an added bonus.

Mickey Kaye is the owner. The instructors are incredibly experienced and aren't looking for a stepping stone to a commercial career.

(No connection other than a happy customer.)
Melanie Moxon, Tannah liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Try Sherburn in Elmet airfield, they seem to be a friendly outfit with decent facilities when I've been in there/
Tannah liked this
By RichJordan
Sherburn is a good shout.

Lots of activity, decent facilities and a few different schools so caters for micros or regular GA.

Breeze Aviation (at Sherburn) have a lovely, almost brand new Eurofox.
By A le Ron
I have flown from Leeds, Sherburn and Sandtoft. I am a current member of Sherburn and have been for many years, so would naturally recommend Sherburn. But it has a very different atmosphere from Mickey’s school at Breighton. Pros and cons with both. Why not visit both then make up your mind? I would be happy to host you at Sherburn, or introduce you to Mickey at Breighton.