Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Georgeab
Hi,
I am from Bedford and what to take LAPL license. Initially wanted to go for NPPL(Microlight) and upgrade But i think its stopped now. WHat will be the best and cheapest centre to learn near Bedford. I saw Billins as a good place But wanted to check if some where cheaper is there . Many advertice it as 5K for the course but i think there might be VAT and other charges on top. So wanted to find the best place towards Cambridge side or anywhere near
Richard Billins has gone back to flying airliners and closed that school down I'm afraid.

Best bet at Cranfield would be to join Azure, who have an aeroplane (a PA28) at Cranfield, another up the road at Peterborough Connington, and a handful of "as required" instructors.

http://azureflyingclub.co.uk/

I can't instruct ab-initio, but do some instructing at Azure of already qualified pilots and occasionally fly one or other of their aeroplanes, so happy to chat about any detail.

You can indeed do NPPL(M) then go to NPPL(SSEA) - light aeroplanes by any other name, but there's a real dearth of microlight instruction in this neck of the woods. The nearest good microlight school would probably be Flylight at Northampton Sywell. NPPL to LAPL does seem to be a bit of a problem at the moment.

G