Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Crash one wrote:I thought he was exonerated as he didn’t put anyone else at risk.

He was, I exchanged a few emails/pms with him at the time and got a better understanding of why it is not as dangerous as it appears.

Still not for me though. :shock: :lol:
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
He was not only exonerated but awarded costs as he should never have been prosecuted.
After they failed to prosecute him for dangerous flying they tried for breaking a speed limit on the water.
Judge was none too pleased...
By skydriller
riverrock wrote:He was not only exonerated but awarded costs as he should never have been prosecuted.
After they failed to prosecute him for dangerous flying they tried for breaking a speed limit on the water.
Judge was none too pleased...

Exactly my point in posting about it earlier. This prosecution appeared to be entirely media led because a member of the public videoed it and put the video on social media where it received negative publicity. 10+ years ago no one would have ever have known or cared...

Welcome to the modern world.

Regards, SD..
By Rob L
Miscellaneous wrote:Thanks, rr.

When I bought my current aeroplane there was suggestion the tyres wouldn't last. But they're not the proper bush wheels you refer to. :D Not sure where this beach is?

As I'm sure Misc knows, you don't need big tyres for all beach landings.
Both of these two different beach locations are in the UK and both legal:

This one, however was not:

[img]Santa_Monica_beach1.jpg[/img]
AndyR liked this
By Rob L
Pilling Sands is a billiard table, freshly washed and graded twice a day.

We landed, stopped, shut down, got out, took photos, had a pee and got back in and took off...all without taxying or changing direction or anything. All the time, other aircraft were doing touch-and gos, full-stop landings etc. All non-radio too (or perhaps Safetycom).

At 2 miles wide by 4 miles long you could put a fully-loaded airliner on there and bring up the airstairs. As long as the tide is out!

The only smoother runway I know is the new concrete one at Sywell.
By GrahamB
Rob L wrote:The only smoother runway I know is the new concrete one at Sywell.

Welshpool is equally as smooth. Same elevation all the way along it (233’) and even the extension some years ago didn’t put a bump in it.