Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By PaulB
Years ago, perhaps when the night “rating” was a mere qualification, I seem to remember that you could do the hours required as part of the PPL and when the skills test was done, you got a PPL with a night rainy/qual added.

Now, however, some are saying on Facebook (that fountain of all wisdom and knowledge) that it is no longer possible and the rating must be done post qualification.

Someone here must know the true situation.

I looked at part FCL 810 (I think it’s 810 - I’ve slept since I looked) but was left not much wiser. Also, I could only find AMC for rotary and not fixed wing.
By PaulB
I’m a JAA person - it was a night qual at that time. I wondered whether it was a part FCL change.
By Fellsteruk
You can do it with/ before getting ppl license

I know this because I asked my FIC this week, basically I want to do my night at the end of my ppl training so I only have to send off to CAA once.

Your not able to do five hours of night and count them as part of the 45 but once you’ve done the 45 hours for ppl you can do the five hours for night then when you send your license off to CAA for your ppl you get it With night
By PaulB
Fellsteruk wrote:Your not able to do five hours of night and count them as part of the 45.....

That is what I believe you used to be able to do, but it seems that that option has been closed.

Just think that if you were to do your training in the far north of Europe then a large part of your 45 hrs could be at night (because at this time of year it’s dark more than it’s light) but you still wouldn’t have a night rating on qualification!
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Fellsterukif you are talking about an easa ppl, ask your FIC if he/she will refund your night training costs if (when) it turns out your licence is returned without a night rating. He/she surely got the gilded email about it... might even have been this earlier this year.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It is now a rating and as such you need to have a license to add the rating to. If you do the 5 hours during your training, You can simply send off for the license and then send it back for the rating to be added. A slight faff but not a big problem.
The topic has been referred to EASA RMT.0678, with a proposal to permit the Night Rating training within the LAPL/PPL course, provided that the mandated dual and solo time for the LAPL/PPL is also achieved by day.

However, currently the LAPL/PPL must be completed, including the Skill Test, before Night Rating training may be given. After which application may be made for the licence and Night Rating.