Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Darijus
Good afternoon,

I know this sort of question should be asked in the flying school but I won't see my instructor next couple of weeks and curiosity is killing me.

I am currently doing my LAPL with 32.5h total hours of which nearly 8 are solo. I already completed my QXC and will be taking my skill test after the refresher lesson with my instructor.

I am aware of 10 hours of flight time as PIC requirement before I can take passenger once I have my licence but started wondering is my SOLO time counts toward PIC?

The reason I started wondering is that you can take a passenger straight after getting your PPL licence. The minimum requirement for PPL is 10 hours of supervised solo flight time while for LAPL it's only 6 hours. So I thought maybe that 10 hours is including training so new LAPL pilots would have at least similar minimum solo time as PPL pilots before taking anyone with them.

If it's not a case, it means LAPL would need minimum 6 + 10 = 16h of solo before flying with someone while PPL still can take after 10.

Hope it makes some sense what I am trying to say.

Regards,
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As I understand the rules, you need 10 hours of flight time as PIC after you have signed your LAPL before you can take passengers. Even supervised solo flights between your skills test and signing your licence don't count.

Good luck in the test!
By GrahamB
Part FCL.105A LAPL(A) paragraph (b) says:

‘Holders of a LAPL(A) shall only carry passengers once they have completed 10 hours of flight time as PIC on aeroplanes or TMG after the issuance of the licence.‘
T67M liked this
By T67M
Thanks @GrahamB - I couldn't find the exact wording on my phone. "Issuance" is the key phrase - is the licence issued when you pass the test, when it leaves the CAA building, when it arrives in your hand, or when you sign it? Since the licence isn't valid until signed, I take the (possibly pressimistic) view that the holder's signature is the critical time. Other interpretations are possible.
By Paul_Sengupta
Darijus wrote:If it's not a case, it means LAPL would need minimum 6 + 10 = 16h of solo before flying with someone while PPL still can take after 10.

This is why most people just go for the PPL straight off... :D

Welcome to EASA licensing!
T67M liked this
By GrahamB
flybymike wrote:Only the Americans would use the daft word “issuance.”

“issue” is quite good enough for the Queen’s English.

Agreed. The word is well past its expiration date.
Flyin'Dutch', T67M, PaulB and 3 others liked this
By PeterMa
This throws up a question for me - can you fly with another suitable licence holder during these 10 hours on the basis they are p2 and not a simple passenger ? Or are you committed to having an empty seat next to you for 10 hours ?
By PaulB
I would be amazed if the answer to that Q was yes!
By PeterMa
PaulB wrote:I would be amazed if the answer to that Q was yes!

I do agree , but it seems a huge waste given the 'yes' answer . The 'benefit' of reduced hours seems to be totally wiped out .

I know its an often discussed area ( P1/ P2 , P1( UT) , P( US) ) etc etc depending on situation & licence type & aircraft . If only we had a coherent licening / rating system …. :?
By Irv Lee
Admittedly some only fly 10 hours a whole year but if desperate, one solution would be to convince the powers that be (LAA to start with) to have a conversion path from lapl(a) with sep privileges to nppl-ssea of "just fill in a form and send money", so you could get your lapl, then just apply for an nppl-ssea, then take passengers using that, at least until early April (assuming easa aircraft involved).
By TLRippon
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Darijus wrote:If it's not a case, it means LAPL would need minimum 6 + 10 = 16h of solo before flying with someone while PPL still can take after 10.

This is why most people just go for the PPL straight off... :D

Welcome to EASA licensing!

Not at our school, it’s about 50/50 of new students.

I had a look at my original PPL logbook and I flew 17 hours before my first passenger after I received my licence. That took three weeks.
Last edited by TLRippon on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.