Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It makes a difference in my aeroplane. Without a passenger, I have to keep a bit of right aileron in to fly straight! :shock: :D Either that or dial in a bit of rudder trim and accept that I'm going to fly a bit cock-eyed.

I usually try and keep more fuel in the right tank to balance it up.

I have a fixed aileron trim tab and somewhen in the past, I actually adjusted it to fly hands off when solo and tanks equal...but I've since reset it to (mostly) neutral. It does mean if I fall asleep I'll end up in a left hand spiral...
By riverrock
Someone sitting beside me in a Jodel makes a difference (stopped ours rolling slightly left), but I didn't notice in PA28 or SA Bulldog. Doubt you'd notice in a PA28 that or a fuel imbalance but it does depend on rigging. Tanks are on inboard section of wing.
By T67M
Our shaeroplane is rigged to fly needing a touch of left aileron if 2-up, or an equal touch of right aileron if solo, both with balanced tanks. One group member, not aware of this and on a long trip with another pilot, decided to tweak the fixed aileron tab to make the plane fly hands-off rather than by adjusting the fuel load. Most of the rest of the group fly solo and found the plane a bit of a handful until the trim tab was adjusted back to the original position!

It is also with noting that many aircraft have a maximum fuel imbalance specified in the POH or even placarded in the cockpit.
By michaelb
Just to follow up as many people were kind enough to share their thoughts. I’ve now made the switch and it was really a non-event and although there are differences, it’s an aeroplane at the end of the day and flies like an aeroplane. I still stab around by my right leg for the pitch trim wheel and get used to the oversized handbrake style flap control and need to adjust my mind to switching tanks and fuel pump

Overall I love the PA28 and find it more stable, so much more roomy and just a bit more refined. I’m glad I learned on the Cessna to start with, but am very happy to be in the PA28 now. I had to practice stalling in the PA28 as part of the switch and I couldn’t get over how benign the stall is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rdfb liked this
By TLRippon
Glad the OP is all sorted on the PA28 now but just for other students reading this for the same reason. It is worth also mentioning:
The speeds are a little different from the 152 for best climb, best glide etc.
The trim wheel in the 152 needs more movement than in the PA28 to have the same effect.
The Electric Fuel Pump on the PA 28 is a new checklist item, appearing at various points.
You can change the flap position in a PA 28 when the electric master is off, you need power in a C152.
At some point everyone lifts the wing on a PA 28 before turning through force of habit.
In a PA 28 you can keep sight of the runway in circuit turns more easily than in a high wing aircraft. Particularly so at lower levels and close in, like bad weather circuits and PFL turn to final.