Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By thomas6351
That's not me about to plug my paypal link, but I'm 15, in year 11, and desperate to sort out the rest of my life.

I need to choose my A-Levels soon, which I'll decide by knowing what I want to do at Uni, which I'll decide by knowing what I want to do as a career.

Funding for my PPL is do-able, but the other £70,000+ is no where to be seen. Uni degrees which come with an ATPL are a thing, but still require a huge amount of money, and because I'm not getting straight 9s in my GCSEs (more like 7s), I've basically got no chance for a sponsorship.

My dad, who always wanted to fly, has suggested emailing rich people that have something to do with flying, and politley request a sponsorship, but I can't see that happening in a million years. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much,
Tom
By emseaaytea
Hi Tom,

While it’s great that you are so determined, don’t feel committed to define and sort out the rest of your life at the age of 15. Try to have a balance between living it and making sound (but flexible) choices along the way :) I can promise you that you can be in your 20s and 30s and still feel the same way because things change and you have to be flexible enough to adapt but keep pushing forward, so don’t feel you have to have everything locked and loaded before you turn 16. Not a criticism at all - just saying don’t pressure yourself!

Another thought is that we (pilots/student pilots/want to be pilots) probably all also wanted the same at your age but the reality is that very few people can turn on a tap and magic up £100k and have to find a variety of ways to get there, but where there’s a will, there’s a way and if there isn’t a way, you don’t will it enough (is what I always say!)

You say you can fund a PPL which is great at your age. I started when I was 15 and ran out of cash pretty quickly and took a fair while to get back into it because I started working to fund it and then life got in the way for a while. Have you considered starting your PPL? Have you taken flying lessons before? This might sound ridiculous but it would be a good way to check you really want it as a career and would be a good way to be around other pilots. How about seeing if you can get some weekend experience at a GA flight school? Prepping the aircraft etc? Meet people and show your passion and commitment.

I wish you all the best! I wish I’d actually got further when I started at your age, so think it’s great for you. Just don’t panic to define a rigid path for yourself and look at all the different options and most of all, enjoy! I’m no expert and I realise I’ve not answered your question but there’s no magic solution but wanted to wish you the best and give some thoughts. Sounds like you’ve got a supportive Dad, which is great for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WelshRichy liked this
By ChipCobb
thomas6351 wrote:
Any suggestions?

Yes. Do what I did - get a job and pay for it yourself!

I always wanted to fly for a living but there was no way I could afford it at 17 years old and my parents certainly had no spare cash to help. So I got an office job and started working my way up the ladder. When my earnings exceeded my expenditure years later I started to slowly pay for lessons and after 9 years (yes, 9 years) I got my first flying job without any considerable debt. Now I fly a nice shiny biz-jet for a living.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
AndyR, Crash one liked this
By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
beaconflyer wrote:
thomas6351 wrote:
Any suggestions?

I got my first flying job without any considerable debt. Now I fly a nice shiny biz-jet for a living.

That's actually very inspiring !

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Crash one liked this
By David Smeaton
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am not sure how feasible it is is but have you thought of the RAF as a career? I have no idea if you could go in and learn to fly as I have no idea how it works and what qualifications you would need, I am just thinking outside the box. Join the local ATC if they still exist as that may be a foot in the door to experience some flying.
Sooty25 liked this
By Sooty25
The harsh reality is whatever career path you choose will require some level of investment, but that investment is reflected in the reward you'll gain.

That investment is either going to be cold hard cash, or time. ATPL has the potential to pay a very decent salary, so expecting a free ride to that is a pipedream. One of the reasons the pay is good is the level of cash investment required to get that licence!

Cash route, you've either got to find another job that will fund the training, or be bloody lucky. Expecting some rich stranger to bank role your dream is extremely unlikely, so I wouldn't suggest pinning your hopes on that! Likelyhood of a bank loan is pretty slim I'd have thought.

Time, as suggested earlier, try the RAF but you'll need to sign away a chunk of your life and there is no guarantee you'll make pilot. Joining the ATC might help assuming they still fly these days. You probably don't want to turn up to the RAF with a PPL though, but you will want decent A level grades.

There are very few free rides in life.
By map5623
Hello Thomas, ‘beaconflyer’ should be a beacon for you.
If you want to fly that bad it is no good expecting the latest ‘I-thing’ or
getting pxxxxd with your mates ‘cause its good fun' or sitting on your backside waiting for ‘Father Christmas’.
No pain – no gain, as BF said, get a job and save, then spend it on flying.
My local club employs donglers and I believe has a staff rates scheme.
Maybe you should look for something like that.

Good luck