Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Buzz887
Hi

I have been advised by the CAA FCL unit that all my flying training prior to 2012 cannot be used towards my PPL.

Hours logged between 02 Oct 2014 and 09 Oct 2016 as 7.5 Solo, 30hrs Dual
Hours logged between 17 Jan 2010 to 15 Apr 2017 as 0hrs Solo, 6.95 Dual

I never really put the time in on the ground school due to many factors and this is the reason for accumulated hours being high and me not having my PPL today. More fool me!

Another factor in my losing the prior training hours is I never kept upto date with changes in legislation etc so a double whammy for me.

Anyways, always the optimistic the CAA seemed to suggest that perhaps i should contact the LAA to see if they would allow any hours to be used against NPPL SSEA training.

So my questions is simply can anyone here advise me if the LAA would allow this?

As I am now 62yrs old to restart a full training on PPL perhaps the cost would outweigh the benefits and therefore I may seek the NPPL route.

I don't want to bang my own drum but I am a born flyer just a very bad book worm!

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Buzz887
By Bathman
Its a mess.

First up these hours can count towards and FAA PPL. I've Known people who have taken up that option. So thank you EASA and the CAA for promoting your local aviation industry - NOT!

The hours can count towards an NPPL (SSEA) but you can't go solo in a EASA aircraft on a medical declaration. So you would need LAPL or class 2 medical.

Starting again from zero hours and then getting a LAPL would be an option.

Its a real shame that its against the CAA policy to issue that ICAO licence called a UK PPL as that would make a lot of these problems instantly go away.
PaulB liked this
By nickwilcock
The restrictions of Article 9 of the Aircrew Regulation do not apply to the NPPL, hence all previous flight training may be counted towards the NPPL, provided that it can be adequately verified and the training records are available from the previous training organisations.

However, an NPPL (SSEA) will not be valid for flying EASA aircraft (e.g. PA28, Cessna 172) after 8 April 2020. Neither can it be converted into a Part-FCL licence.

So if you complete your NPPL(SSEA), you would be limited to flying non-EASA aeroplanes such as Chipmunks, Bulldogs and a variety of home-built aeroplanes.
By Bathman
And for how many years have they been saying that the NPPL will no longer be vailid in Cessna's or Pipers?

And to muddy the waters further in might be very much back on the menu come the 1st of November
flybymike liked this
By Buzz887
Buzz887 wrote:Hi

I have been advised by the CAA FCL unit that all my flying training prior to 2012 cannot be used towards my PPL.

Hours logged between 02 Oct 2014 and 09 Oct 2016 as 7.5 Solo, 30hrs Dual Correction it should read 09 Oct 2006 (not 2016)
Hours logged between 17 Jan 2010 to 15 Apr 2017 as 0hrs Solo, 6.95 Dual

I never really put the time in on the ground school due to many factors and this is the reason for accumulated hours being high and me not having my PPL today. More fool me!

Another factor in my losing the prior training hours is I never kept upto date with changes in legislation etc so a double whammy for me.

Anyways, always the optimistic the CAA seemed to suggest that perhaps i should contact the LAA to see if they would allow any hours to be used against NPPL SSEA training.

So my questions is simply can anyone here advise me if the LAA would allow this?

As I am now 62yrs old to restart a full training on PPL perhaps the cost would outweigh the benefits and therefore I may seek the NPPL route.

I don't want to bang my own drum but I am a born flyer just a very bad book worm!

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Buzz887
By Buzz887
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Your hours breakdown seems to overlap.

Thank you, i made a typo in regards to the year 2016, it should have read 2006.

Buzz
By Buzz887
Bathman wrote:Its a mess.

First up these hours can count towards and FAA PPL. I've Known people who have taken up that option. So thank you EASA and the CAA for promoting your local aviation industry - NOT!

The hours can count towards an NPPL (SSEA) but you can't go solo in a EASA aircraft on a medical declaration. So you would need LAPL or class 2 medical.

Starting again from zero hours and then getting a LAPL would be an option.

Its a real shame that its against the CAA policy to issue that ICAO licence called a UK PPL as that would make a lot of these problems instantly go away.

Thank you for your reply. I made an error in the date on my 1st post, it should have read Oct 2006, not Oct 2016..

I am unsure if this affects your kind reply?

Here is the reply from the CAA FCL...

...Unfortunately it is not possible to use any training conducted before September 2012 towards training for a Part FCL Licence. The last date it was possible to use this training with 30th September 2018, where an exemption to use those hours had been issued before that date....

Not sure where to go from here..

Buzz
By Buzz887
nickwilcock wrote:The restrictions of Article 9 of the Aircrew Regulation do not apply to the NPPL, hence all previous flight training may be counted towards the NPPL, provided that it can be adequately verified and the training records are available from the previous training organisations.

However, an NPPL (SSEA) will not be valid for flying EASA aircraft (e.g. PA28, Cessna 172) after 8 April 2020. Neither can it be converted into a Part-FCL licence.

So if you complete your NPPL(SSEA), you would be limited to flying non-EASA aeroplanes such as Chipmunks, Bulldogs and a variety of home-built aeroplanes.

Thank you for your kind reply...

So perhaps I should speak to the local flight school regarding NPPL(SSEA) and ask if they will accept my hours. I'm in Glasgow, Scotland and choice of Glasgow, cumbernauld or perhaps even fife..as a flying school.

Regards
Buzz
JAFO liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Or Prestwick? There is a club and school down there (although club, where I'm based, has its training aircraft currently grounded).
Your hours are a legal question rather than whether a club would accept them so go to where suits you best.
JAFO liked this