Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm certain the answer is "NO ".....but you can reduce costs dramatically by buying all or part of a LAA Permit machine. Ideal if you are a "hands- on" spannerman.....still cheaper than a CofA, if you're a "chequebook flyer".... I have read lots of horror -stories on this and other Forums, about aircraft just out of" maintenance"
with serious faults. Obviously the gold- plate doesn't work!
By Spooky
totalN wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread but I thought this might be helpful for the OP too.

Can you build hours in a microlight?

The reason i'm asking is because they seem to be much newer aircraft and much cheaper to rent. So much cheaper in fact that it seems better than joining a group share.

You sort of can. Eurofox, Eurostar, C42 etc can be GA as well as microlight with minor mods and a paperwork. However although the exact same aircraft, if it’s on the Microlight register they don’t count, but if on the GA classification they do :cyclopsani:

Quite silly and backwards really
By SH87
I have been in discussions with my flight school, they don’t have enough tutors often for then PPL, so they are encouraging me to do the LAPL, then top it up to PPL after I get the LAPL.

I would be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts?

Thanks

Simon
By JAFO
@SH87 on the face of it that sounds to me as though they're making their difficulties your problem. It seems like an unnecessary faff to get the LAPL and then convert it if what you wanted right from the start was a PPL. There's also going to be some extra cost, at least in applying for two licences if nothing else, are they offering to pay that?
By SH87
The issue the school is having is that they don’t have enough PPL tutors - only 2 currently as they are all getting snapped up by airlines (given they are usually commercial pilots as well).

I have had a discussion with them, money aside, does anyone see an issue with doing it this way around? E.g. down the line could a future employer look at this negatively?
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Wicksay wrote:Odd that the have lapl instructors but not ppl instructors. I would find out why.

Not at all odd, really.

As a PPL/FI you can instruct for the LAPL without the CPL TK exams, so the people in that position are dedicated instructors, but limited in what they can instruct for. It's the least cost/hassle route into instructing ab-initio students.

Presumably all the fully qualified CPL/FIs who instruct for the PPL have gone off to airline/other jobs, leaving only the PPL/FI non-TKs who are either still working towards TK or have no intention of so doing.
By ArrowStraight
SH87

Please be aware, if you decide to change from LAPL to PPL part way through - either where you are or at a different school/club - none of the LAPL hours will count. Unless the regs are changed.............