Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By PaulB
If that is affordable and IMC/IRR + Night is in your sights, I'd look at that!
By PaulB
Miscellaneous wrote:@PaulB you reckon a 7th share could top £30K? :shock:

I'd forgotten about the figure mentioned in the first post!

The OP should get himself to Thruxton (have I got that right?) to at least look at that lovely looking aircraft and meet the group!
By David Wood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
But actually, joking apart, I'd echo what has been said before. Prior to launching into sole ownership you'd be wise to join a syndicate. If you find the right one then you'll probably never leave it. I've learned SO much from fellow syndicate members, and I've been in three or four syndicates over the years. Unless you really need to solely-own something then co-owning ticks all the boxes. And it's fun.

More important than the aeroplane, however, are the people. You can have the finest aeroplane in the world (doesn't really matter if it's a Robin, Cessna, Piper or whatever) but if you have just one aerosol in the syndicate then all the joy will be drained from it. So, look at the aeroplane of course. But look at the people more closely - and remember that they will be looking at you!

Good luck.
gonzohop, PaulB, Kittyhawk liked this
By PaulB
David's post above needs more than a like... it needs to be in bold (and underlined) - especially the bit about the people.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Before parting with large sums of money, make sure you know what you want out of the aircraft. There's a whole world of options from "just flying with friends" through £200 hamburgers, weekends away with the family, aerobatics, earning ratings (IRr, night, wobbly prop, wobbly wheels). No one plane will tick all of those boxes, so decide which boxes are important to you first, don't regret ticking the wrong ones afterwards.
Flyin'Dutch', gonzohop liked this