Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By MachFlyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I imagine some students when they pass the GST want to ditch the "student" callsign asap but I was curious as to thoughts of people on here of still using it while newly qualified. I'm thinking it may be a good idea so when joining the circuit at a new airfield for example other pilots will be aware of the lack of experience of this particular newbie?
By lobstaboy
I can see where you're coming from and applaud your desire to be cautious.
But no. Really, no...

You have passed the test. You are competent. Be cautious by all means, but use your caution to make sure you plan and self brief thoroughly.

Anyway, where would you draw the line? How would you know when to stop using the student prefix?
MachFlyer, Rob P liked this
By CapnM
I would probably say no (regardless as to what CAP413 says), on the basis that as a licence holder, you would be expected to self-brief your departure/arrival and PPR if required. PPR would at least allow you to have a quick brief with whoever is at the other end on their expectations of your join, but it would also allow you to pass on that you're newly qualified and pass on any request which may help your join. If you're not confident in joining an unfamiliar airfield then really they should take a buddy or at least brief it with an instructor.

I don't think using the student prefix as a hope-to-get-out-of-jail-card would go down too well.
MachFlyer liked this
By riverrock
I can see your desire - in the same way that people put a green "P" on the back of their car for a while after passing their test.
However it would devalue the use of it for actual students so I'm with the others above.
MachFlyer, scd975 liked this
By MachFlyer
Thanks for your replies. It was reading through CAP413 again that got me thinking of it. My 1st thought was to dismiss it for some of the reasons you have all given including the thoughts of when would you stop & feeling a bit of a fraud "pretending" to be a student. I will advise I'm low hours when telephoning for PPR so the airfield I am visiting are aware.

I just thought I'd throw it out there to see what the general feeling on it was :D
By TopCat
I have a vague memory of there being a 'TYRO' callsign prefix used in such "P rather than L" circumstances.

Was it military, something else, or am I completely imagining it?
By riverrock
I have no idea what TYRO means - so I assume most others wouldn't either. Its neither standard, nor taught, so don't use it.
By flybymike
As I recall, TYRO was the official term in use before being replaced by “student” (although I seldom heard it used)
By riverrock
cockney steve wrote:^^^^^^^^ you're 'avin' a giraffe. :mrgreen: you're old- enough and well-educated enough to know what a tyro is!

Nope. Age 35, I've never been taught latin (just looked it up) although I went to a non-fee paying Grammar school and a top university. Its not a word in common usage.

Just spoke to my wife who has a PhD in English Lit. She has never heard the word used and also had to look it up.
By Irv Lee
We Yorkshire born pilots use 'tyke-o' prefix, it warns the airfield you want to land at that there will have to be some discussion about reducing the landing fee. ;-)
JAFO, MachFlyer, Paul_Sengupta and 2 others liked this
By cockney steve
Bah! kids today! Although I did pass the 11+ and elected to go to Technical School (Colchester Tec.) , due to family circumstances and moving, my secondary education was somewhat truncated and I left Secondary-Modern at 15, with nothing but a RSA in English. College or Uni were not an option.

No Latin for me, either.Tyro was a common term in the comics such as "wizard , Rover and Hotspur" which were full of gung-ho stories of Military persons,engaged in WW2 which had only ended some10 years before.

Perhaps that's where I picked it up? Tyro is briefer than either "Student" or "Neophyte"...perhaps it should be re-adopted for a "Greenhorn" (don't tell me, you've never heard that term either . :lol: )
mick w liked this