Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Hi all,

Keen to get some thoughts as i keep putting off booking my exams in as i fear im not ready... I wanted to do:
[list=]Airlaw
Human Performance
Operation procedures [/list]

Ive read the book for all, done the online ground school course for them all with my school and been doing PPLl tutor plus the pooleys exam mocks and some only mocks with my school.

With the exception of OP exam which seems like ive missed loads, the other two im getting between 80 and 100% on the mock tests, I know i have an issue with the different class of airspace and what lights mean when shone from tower to plan... really struggling to learn them..

But all things considered, at what point is good enough to go for the exams?

Thanks
By MachFlyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In my own experience if you are only getting maybe 1 odd question wrong on the phone apps & are comfortably passing the “official mocks” at your school you should be ok. At my school the CFI wanted to ensure I had actually studied the books not just learned questions on phone apps.

As it had been quite some time since I had sat any exams I was very worried about the exams but I needn’t have been, if memory serves I got 2 questions wrong out of all 9 exams.

I don’t think I ever felt “ready” for the real exams but they weren’t as bad as I was fearing tbh.

Good luck but I’m sure you won’t need it you appear to have done the study :D
By Fellsteruk
Thanks, i know i have some topics to work on as i can get 80 on one then the next mock exam i get 100%... I'm gonna spend another week or two i think trying to get my average scores up on my mock exams and then just pull trigger and do it, if i do three ive been studying for i'll hopefully pass at least one of them lol "hopefully them all actually " lol
MachFlyer liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I don't think that I've ever felt ready for a written licence exam, nor an oral.

And so far I've passed all the writtens for two PPLs, two CPLs, one IR, and three orals for two CPLs and an IR.

Basically, do your best, and trust to the judgement of your instructors and the available practice tests. Try to enjoy it as well, when they go well, there's a certain satisfaction to it.

G
By Fellsteruk
Thanks guys

@ArrowStraight they have as I have a certificate of readiness for my exams “all ground school is online for exams” but I still don’t feel 100% worried I’ll be putting it off for ever