Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Yeah I was told the same and ECG, not booked mine yet as I’m still waiting for my GP letter saying my murmur is all good

Enjoy the cupping, let’s hope he buys you a coffee first.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If that letter takes too long you may want to consider to get a copy of the correspondence from the cardiologist (assuming you saw one for your murmur) to the GP and forward that to the AME.

Ultimately that is what the AME is likely to want to see. A letter from a GP just stating that a murmur was OK without the back up of a cardiology opinion is unlikely to be sufficient.
A le Ron liked this
By mmcp42
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Fill out the application form and bring along
Make sure you arrive relaxed and without starving yourself or over eating (avoid drinking lucozide or eating a mars bar prior to attending)
Not a ton of caffeine before.

It will be a chat about your application form and any conditions you have or may have had in the past, then the measuring bits and the physical examination. You will get an ECG which requires putting stickers on you and some leads. You will need to pee during the medical so make sure you are not dehydrated.

That is it.

Success.

(PS Contrary to popular belief, the successfulness of the medical examination does not depend on the AME doing the examination but the fitness of the candidate!)

hmm why no lucozade or mars bar before?
By Flyin'Dutch'
mmcp42 wrote:hmm why no lucozade or mars bar before?

A) because they are bloody unhealthy sugar laden bars/drinks which have nothing nutritional to offer other than pure sugar

B) People may have a low threshold for glycosuria (glucose being secreted in the urine) when they load themselves up with sugar (glucose) which leads to a positive urine test, stresses the AME (bad move) and requires blood tests, money and effort to prove you havenot got diabetes.
mmcp42 liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
If you are seriously considering that you want to get a CPL and use it then you should really get a Class 1 done; you want to know you can hold one before forking out a penny on any commercial training.

Prices for a Class 2 vary widely and can be found on AMEs' websites (on the whole)
Fellsteruk wrote:Paid 220 for mine with ECG but that’s a must for all new Mexicali’s now apparently

I am quite an experienced AME, but I have no idea what a Mexicali is...
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
It's a town on the Mexico/US border. In fact, the border went right through the middle, creating Mexicali on the Mexican side, and Calexico on the US side.

Mexicali has an airport:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexicali_International_Airport

So has Calexico:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calexico_International_Airport

"International airport" is a little bit grand for this. It has crumbling asphalt. It's very close to the border. There's a restaurant on the airport which serves huge steaks among other things (just googled it and found it's now closed down). Not surprisingly, Calexico is inhabited almost entirely by Hispanics. Mexicans, just on the wrong side of the border!

Landing at the wrong airport could cause all sorts of problems.