Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By daibrown2003
Just wondering if anyone has completed any training in Swansea or Cardiff with any of the companies based there? Looking for recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By ChipCobb
I highly recommend Cambrian Flying Club at Swansea. I did my PPL and hour building there. Great bunch, friendly, amazing scenery over the Gower, what's not to like?

Cardiff gives you the bigger airport experience with full ATC and so on but you can visit there easily.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
By Flyingkeyboard
I have heard good things about Aeros, who fly out of Cardiff, amongst other locations.

For PPL I think it comes down to which club can meet your personal requirements and has instructors you can get along with.
By ChipCobb
daibrown2003 wrote:Thanks, Swansea is closest to me. How did you do your hour building?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slowly!

I wasn't in a financial position to build my hours quickly and I didn't want to get into debt when a career wasn't guaranteed so I just paid as I went along mostly doing flights around 40 mins to an hour each way, occasionally stretching further to the channel islands, etc.

It probably took me 3 years to build enough hours to start the CPL and subsequently the IR.

Then a few years went by as the job market was still rough but eventually things picked up, I got a job and haven't looked back.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
By MikeB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not on the list in the OP, but also worth considering Horizon Flight Training at St Athan.

Suggest you go visit potential schools, chat to the instructors, look at the aircraft etc.