Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By daibrown2003
Hi everyone,
For the last 10 years I’ve dreamt about a career in aviation. I would love to fly commercial and I’m finally in a financial position to afford the training. My question is am I too old at 38? I would have to qualify via the modular route. Many thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Danny
Hope not! I'm 48 years and 5 months old and half way through ATPLs. There are enough hard limits such as medical/legislative without putting our own in the way. If you got the cash and the commitment no you are far from being too old.

Good luck.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Judging by the reports of numbers of pilots retiring in the next ten years and the need to replace them and more besides , if you’ve got the talent and commitment then you should walk it.

You will need enthusiasm , a medical and almost unlimited cash but it’s doable .

Peter :wink:
By Genghis the Engineer
3 years to train and qualify, then 24 years on current rules until compulsory retirement from an airline flight deck.

I know a 92 year old still instructing (albeit one who qualified in 1948).

Get a class 1 medical, then do a PPL whilst making sure that your instructor knows that is your intention.

If you pass those two hurdles, you're good.

G
By AndyR
Qualified at 43. Been working full time in aviation since I was 47. You may have to wait a while. And I’ve gone the GA route rather than airlines. But tenacity pays off. And the employment situation is so much better now than it was in 2008/9.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Wicksay
In the immortal words of Cher... "if I could turn back time.."

I'm 52 and 16hrs into my ppl with a class 1 passed. Check my thread out and follow my progress.

PS AndyR and my own instructor who is 70 are huge inspirations for me to JFDI.

Keep us posted and good luck

Wicksay (Lee)

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
cockney steve liked this
By derekf
Keep on with the faith - have just done my ATPLs aged 54 next month with a view to possible commercial/instructing soon (although to be fair I already have ME and IR)...
By Flyingkeyboard
I am looking into a commercial career with trepidation at the ripe old age of 33, so this thread has definitely been a positive source of information.

It is difficult to get an exact idea of what the airlines are after in terms of age. One of the main sources of info (Pprune), is often out of date or contains posts from people who didn't get where they wanted to be. I tend to take everything on there with a pinch of salt.

PeteSpencer - your post echoes a lot of what my PPL instructors have been saying.
By GAWARE
Started young gave up kept another career going, which I’m still doing , came back now 55 just been taken on by intergrated flight school as commercial instructor with at last a liveable wage part time 3 days a week. They have commercial instructors in their 70s !

It’s hard work training head wise and bank account but strangely addictive. I’ve alway been lucky as I enjoy instructing.

Recently lots of instructors getting jobs at airlines in their 50s. But very much depends on timing and demand.
Flyingkeyboard liked this