Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By LD1Racing
Just a quick one as I can't seem to find an answer to this...

Can the IMC rating be credited towards a full IR in the UK? i.e. is there any point in doing an IR(R) if my plan is to later complete a full IR?

Also, which theory exams are required for the IR if I choose not to do the full complement of ATPL theory exams? It states 7 on the CAA website but are these the exams already covered by the PPL with an additional IFR Comm and Radio Nav exam or are they all new exams which must be passed?

TIA
By PaulB
I could be completely wrong, but I seem to recall that the answer was no, but you could use IMC hours against an FAA IR which could then credit against an EASA one.

No idea whether that is still the case now that there is a CB IR.
By Flyin'Dutch'
All new exams must be sat and they are a subset of the CPL exams,

If your aim is to get an IR then you are much better off going for that straight away.

There are likely now going to be another 25 pages of why the IRR is a great rating and is taught by people who are all splendid and that you can do with the IRR exactly the same in the UK as you can with an IR (other than flying in Class A airspace) and make of that what you want, but if the aim is to get an IR then the IRR is a longer and more costly route.

Whatever you do - have fun.
PaulB liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
PaulB wrote:I could be completely wrong, but I seem to recall that the answer was no, but you could use IMC hours against an FAA IR which could then credit against an EASA one.

Yes

No idea whether that is still the case now that there is a CB IR.

Yes

In fact if you have an ICAO IR (which the FAA one is) then you don't need to do the written TK-EASA IR exams.

But the route is really only of interest for those who have already held an IRR/IMC and some further experience that can count as the added time and cost involved in doing an FAA PPL plus IR and going to the States plus conversion on to the CAA/EASA/UK IR system is going to take longer and cost more than just rocking up in the UK and doing the IR-TK exams and 45 hours flying.
By AlanC
To add the extra card: a well taught IMC Rating is a good stepping stone towards a full IR, especially if being trained somewhere that good IMCR instruction is cheaper than full IR instruction, eg most FNPT2 simulators used on full IR courses come in at £160+/hour dual, once the instructor and cost of CAA authorisations are factored in. This relies on the candidate and school being aware of the existence of the Competency Based IR, which is a route that still requires the final standards of a conventional IR route but allows previous experience to be credited towards minimum training requirements.

A poorly taught IMC Rating may do more harm than good when it comes to a CB IR course! Examples I see on a reasonably regular basis: little understanding of altimeter setting procedures (which are not unique to the IFR environment, but are more likely to be exposed as flaws there), variable weather awareness, and not seeing speed as a datum, especially on approaches.

Strangely, since the introduction of the CB IR the only "conventional" IR courses I've done have been for rotary conversions, the rest have all been Competency Based. Given the IR Test is identical no matter which route is taken, it's of note that our pass rate has not suffered from occasionally doing less training. This may well be because the CB IR should not be regarded as a lesser route to an IR, simply a more pragmatic route which allows more credit for existing experience.
Flyin'Dutch', PaulB, GrahamB and 3 others liked this