Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By samsee23
Hi All,

I had the opportunity to takeoff for the first time as I continue my training towards my PPL.

It is such an amazing experience. You can see it here :

I did drift off the centre line though. I think I was concentrating on the dials to make sure everything was what it should be. I'll know for next time

What was your first time like?
Dman, Morten liked this
By Sandman
It's a great feeling when you can take off yourself and have full control. There will be many more to come during your PPL so don't worry if starting out they're less than perfect as they will get better with practice.

Sander
samsee23 liked this
By samsee23
I'm determined for the next one to be better :)

I've not tried a landing yet.... i think its best that the instructor doesn't tell me i will be doing it and just starts talking me through it. If he does tell me i will be having one of those "oh Carp i have to land this " moments lol
By Rob P
samsee23 wrote: ... i will be having one of those "oh Carp i have to land this " moments

I have one of those.

Every flight :shock:

Rob P
Sandman, samsee23, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By Sandman
My first landings (on the same day)weren't that bad but that was because the instructor was still handling a lot for me so I could just focus on getting the plane on the runway.
Three months later (and a lot of canceled lessons due to weather) I started with circuits and it was Carp. A bit overwhelmed by all the steps in such a short time; setting up for landing, radio calls, maintain correct height, setting up for touch and go.
Circuits the week thereafter where already a bit better although I still managed to botch a few landings and struggle to do the whole pre landing setup correct, in time and whilst maintaining the correct altitude.
But it gets a bit better every time I do it and I still manage to have fun even though I make mistakes.

My target this week is to achieve at least one full circuit where I feel that I am in proper control with a correct take-off / landing (setup) and touch and go.
samsee23 liked this
By Sandman
Sandman wrote:
My target this week is to achieve at least one full circuit where I feel that I am in proper control with a correct take-off / landing (setup) and touch and go.

Had another go at circuits this week and I managed to do 2 decent circuits where I felt a lot more in control instead of behind the airplane. It's getting better.
samsee23 liked this