Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Nero
Just back from a good lesson but not the one I hoped for... Winds at Lydd were swinging between full headwind and full crosswind, so he couldn't let me solo

Instead a good lesson on crosswind approaches and landings

Maybe next time.....

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By Fellsteruk
Fingers crossed for your next lesson, I’m also yet to solo, frankly I ain’t had a circuit lesson without pretty bad cross winds so my landings are still a mess.

I was up yesterday for what my instructor classed as a “character building” lesson, winds were mental “well for me” an hour of being blown all over the place and more crabbing than the beach. Felt like a mess but was good experience I guess.
Hazel C liked this
By Hazel C
Fingers crossed for your next lesson, I’m also yet to solo, frankly I ain’t had a circuit lesson without pretty bad cross winds so my landings are still a mess.

I was up yesterday for what my instructor classed as a “character building” lesson, winds were mental “well for me” an hour of being blown all over the place and more crabbing than the beach. Felt like a mess but was good experience I guess.

Ha! I had a few trips like that when I was learning Fellerstuk...In fact I seem to remember one of my Student reports after one particularly sporty circuit session saying something like "testing conditions in the circuit today, it certainly made Hazel's eyes stick out!!" :lol:

On a serious note, it is sometimes good to fly in those sorts of conditions with your instructor. He/she will know when you are able to handle those conditions; this makes you aware of what is possible in that aircraft and in slightly less than perfect conditions. I am now very grateful for having had some of those trips..... a reasonable cross wind - although tricky - I know is within my capability.
By JAFO
@Hazel C - you reminded me of a famous old tale from RAF Chipmunks. After a handful of hours together the instructor had written in the post-trip report:

"Bloggs has an odd habit of holding his breath while he's landing."

And then, a couple of hours later:

"Have joined Bloggs in the habit of holding my breath while he's landing."
Hazel C, GunnyD3v liked this
By johnm
Practising in those conditions is good preparation for trips to the Channel Islands :D :thumleft:
By Nero
johnm wrote:Practising in those conditions is good preparation for trips to the Channel Islands :D :thumleft:

Yes they are definitely on my list of places to visit post-PPL!

Thanks to SkyDemon, which I spend a lot of time on day-dreaming, that list is ever increasing... :lol:

t1m80 liked this
By Nero
Evening everyone :)

I had a lesson earlier today and did my first controlled airspace transit!

No solo because of the generally bad weather today so instead we went to Southend and performed a transit of their very quiet airspace via the overhead.

Bit of drama before leaving as the plane that I checked out was fine during checks and then battery completely dead for start. Then it came back. Then gone. Dodgy!

So got into my favoured plane which wasn't being used and off we went.

Navigated well, did the calls very well, no dramas on the transit and then found my way home. Bit fast on final but corrected it and landed with some healthy crosswind. So all in all, I'm pretty chuffed!

~ Scott
Rob P, T6Harvard, tommyp1441 and 4 others liked this
By Charles Hunt
One comment on when to talk to someone. Military fields show the MATZ 'stubs'.

Some civil airports have instrument approaches without controlled airspace, and these are shown by arrowy things, fleches, >>>>>>> .

A note on the chart says it is good practice when flying within 10nm of such an airfield to contact the relevant ATC.

Also be aware that the fleches indicate the main instrument approach, but there may well be others in a different direction.
By Nero
Charles Hunt wrote:One comment on when to talk to someone...

Hi Charles, thank you for the post. You've all been very helpful and I'd like to think my understanding has come a long way in the past couple of months.

My recent maiden voyage into CAS went very well and I put it down to you guys and some great UK YouTube vloggers

~ Scott
By Fellsteruk
Glad it went well, I 2nd the praise for the comments on here and certain YT channels both of which have been super helpful.

Shame about the battery, maybe a bad ground somewhere.
By Hazel C
Fab! Well done, glad it went well. Southend quiet??? :shock: It was very busy both times I ahve flown into it...and growing up under its approach, it was NEVER quiet! :lol:

Seriously though, ive found their Tower brilliant. Very glad that you had a good trip.
By Nero
I did it!

Exercise 14 - First Solo

Lovely calm day this morning down at Lydd and not too much in the circuit. Did 7 T&Gs before my instructor called for the option and then full stop landing before he asked "do you want to try one solo?"

Yes!!

All went very well and the ATC were the first to congratulate me after landing followed by my instructor and then my former instructor who happened to be there with his new school.

Many thanks to everyone on here who has offered their advice along the way. It really is appreciated

~ Scott
MachFlyer, JAFO, Rob P and 7 others liked this
By GunnyD3v
Awesome, it must be the day for it indeed, congratulations. Have you stopped smiling yet? I haven’t! :D

I nearly wrote the time in the wrong column, excuse the pun but I went auto pilot filling out the log book :lol: