Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I should probably caveat all of that with the fact I have very limited experience of the aerodomes of the UK :) so is just an initial impression!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
By kunaljarodia
Yeah for sure, I personally done a lot research between schools within the area and choose Stapleford for 2 reasons.
1. Cost was a big factor. E.G. PPL cost at Biggin hill was more expensive, I can't remember on the top of my head the figure, but at Stapleford is £8,055 + all the other things ended up being a little more more cheaper. As I'm working full time and studying this works out better. Here is the price list below if this helps.
https://flysfc.com/pdfs/sfc-commercial- ... ochure.pdf

2. My friend who is currently flying for BA got his qualifications from there, which gave me good level of trust in the school

Thats interesting, I didn't know that. Is there anywhere for you to hang around?
Stapleford is very good for that I must say, if you ever want to head up to Stapleford one time, feel free to join me.

I agree, I know biggin will well and it is a gorgeous place!
I was an Air Cadet at Biggin hill Squadron. (Next to the spitfire and the chapel on main road)
You get to have an amazing Tarmac runway.

Would love to fly into biggin hill one day!
By Nero
I definitely need to consider other airfields when thinking of post-PPL flying. I only look for Redhill or Biggin but Fairoaks and Stapleford aren't a million miles away...

Also, now that I've passed my exams and got my medical, I'm thinking that I should work on trying to memorise the checklist. Good idea, right?

Any tips for best methods? I've found the acronyms a little tricky to remember and spend more time trying to picture the meaning of each one in my head.

I didn't remember the downward leg checks until I physically did them during my first circuits. Maybe I'm a visual/physical learner...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
By Nero
t1m80 wrote:Belated congrats on the Exams Nero! Sorry, struggling to keep up :-)
Haha no worries and many thanks

I'm up late looking at skydemon as usual....

Scott
By shackled
Anyone else on the PPL journey getting seriously frustrated at the incessant strong wind over the last month or so really holding back training? :( ready for another one of those it seems this weekend....
By Nero
shackled wrote:ready for another one of those it seems this weekend....
I'm especially impressed by how it's managed to have a storm every weekend for three in a row but fine during the week
By PaulB
It hasn’t exactly been fine this week.....
By shackled
Nero wrote:
shackled wrote:ready for another one of those it seems this weekend....
I'm especially impressed by how it's managed to have a storm every weekend for three in a row but fine during the week

I'm now obsessed with topmeteo and windy... and it always makes me sad when I look at either :cry:
By shackled
Nice. I spoke to my instructor but he's quite sure it won't happen... thinking wind right across the runway making for less than ideal for circuits, particularly since I've just changed a/c type. Hope you get to fly!
By VRB_20kt
Bear in mind that the frustration you're experiencing is a part of flying in the UK. Even quite experienced pilots have been staying on the ground in recent days and TBH the coming fortnight doesn't look a whole lot better.

Incidentally, when it comes to learning BUMPFICHH, FREDA, TRPHA(CE)R and so on, just practice them at suitable points when you're driving. Get clearance to join the M25, do landing checks prior to leaving a motorway and so on. Repetition gets things ingrained so they'll trip off the tongue when required.
By Nero
Absolutely, I was fully at peace with the cancellations but I'm getting quite close to solo so the frustrations have risen again :)

The M25 on/off clearance made me smile. I usually do other acronyms because of the drivers around me but I'll give this a go!
By Nero
Another weekend passed and another lesson rained off... That's not unusual, but not the only reason this time...

There was drama!

My new favourite instructor has left with immediate effect :(

People starting to tell me that it's a sign heh