Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@t1m80 So I gather. A shame as I suspect a lot of those houses are quite recent. Like Horsted college area. May see you in 2021, not only am I learning from there but it is also where I end up on a Sunday on the pushbike if the weather is good having a tea in the cafe.
By t1m80
Fab, Sunday morning cuppa in the new year sounds like a good idea. Must start getting myself aquatinted with the place again :-) Looking forward to getting some hours in this coming year to make up for the dreadful season this year. I'll be interesting to see how the building work is getting on too.
By Nero
Merry Christmas to everyone on the forum. You've all been a great help and invaluable resource during my training.

It's also been great 'meeting' other students and newly qualifieds. I hope to meet you all in person during 2021!!

~ Scott
T6Harvard, t1m80 liked this
By Nero
Well.... It's been a while since I've updated this!

I finally have an update though first lesson could be Sunday 18th April.

Since my last lesson, on 17th October 2020, there's been another addition to the family. My second child was born 1st February

Which is great of course but it's going to make slinking off to enjoy myself flying a bit more difficult in these early months.

Will try for a lesson a fortnight and then crack on properly in the summer to finish off my PPL.

Good luck everyone

~ Scott
Rob P, t1m80 liked this
By T6Harvard
Oh, lovely news about the new addition, Nero!! Like the new avvie :thumleft:

My first lesson is 14th April. I was offered 13th but it is MrT6's birthday sooooo.....

Let's hope the weather gods are smiling on us!
By Charles Hunt
Many congratulations.

"Darling, I know you're tired all the time but I thought that if I still went flying, and told you about the lesson in excruciating detail when I get back, it should help you nod off."
T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
Charles Hunt wrote:Many congratulations.

"Darling, I know you're tired all the time but I thought that if I still went flying, and told you about the lesson in excruciating detail when I get back, it should help you nod off."

:lol: I've only been brave enough to mention lessons returning once... just casually put it into conversation, let the seed grow
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
I think it was JAFO who wrote about his tactics and it involved doing housework beforehand and buying flowers on the way home....but you prob need to add volunteering to do 'night feeds' into the list :lol:
By t1m80
Many congratulations on both counts Scott! My club opens it bookings next Monday. I have a shed load of cash to spend as I've been putting it aside. I'm thinking of buying the club :-)
By Nero
Hello gang

I had my first post-lockdown lesson on Saturday but have been very busy turning a year older on Monday and then back into a busy working week because I dared to take a day off

(I never work my birthday, it's depressing)

Anyway, like many of you, I'd been building myself up to it for several weeks now. Getting a bit nervous and wanting to hit the ground running.

Without tooting my own trumpet, I think I achieved that. It went really, really well.

I did all the checks, radios, movements and flying. Landed my first t&g in 6 months pretty darn well too, and the second, and the final landing back at Biggin.

This isn't gloating though, it's pure relief! I'm now at 45.2 hours so have reached minimum hours and, thankfully, my ability hasn't disappeared into the ether.

My next lesson will be a longer solo nav circuit, and then probably the QXC. Followed by revision and the check ride!

Things that went wrong(ish):

- the visibility was pretty poor and I followed my calculated heading but ended up tracking far too northerly, aiming directly for Headcorn. I did realise it didn't look right and verified it with the map and then GPS. All in good time but an important lesson. Why can't I just have skydemon in the cockpit?
- ballooned a little on the landings but didn't aim the nose down, just added a little power, settled the plane and landed. Wasn't bad enough for a go around.
- got a little out of sorts when we went straight from a pfl to joining instructions with Biggin so wasn't set on my distance from BIG, still had Lydd in the box. Didn't think it'd be great to say to Biggin "I'm 32 odd miles north of Lydd"... Er okay, thanks. Instructor owned that one to be fair.
- very nearly turned right instead of left after crossing overhead the runway at Biggin. Right is for rwy 21 and left is for rwy 03. Caught myself though.

All good though and can't wait for my next lesson on the 8th May!

~ Scott
T6Harvard, editmonkey, t1m80 and 1 others liked this