Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Doh! That's a shame. Any chance the tiers will change favourably next week? You're so close to the skills test, aren't you? It must be extra frustrating.

The student before me on Weds was on a XC practice and they couldn't land at Sywell due to our airfield being tier 3.

I hear you with the not having flown for ages!
At my stage of learning (a massive 5 hrs :D ) I haven't yet got any muscle memory and the 5 week break I had in lockdown v2.0 really showed last week! Am now trying to get in as many lessons as poss in a short time frame to build up the baby steps. I have 2 lessons bkd next week, the first looks promising if a little choppy. Too soon to look at the weather for the second!

Then I've booked about 15 lessons from now till end of Feb, in the hope of getting a decent number of lessons despite the weather / tech / etc. It's a bit annoying that Christmas and a visit to family will get in the way :roll: :lol:

Hooe your XC gets sorted asap.
By Nero
Thanks :) today is cancelled. Got one tomorrow but weather looks worse for that.

Tiers probably will change by the time I fly next but London is on course to be T3 anyway if you believe the papers

Also got lessons booked through to February. I was hoping I wouldn't need them

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
Flying lesson Cancelled for today, RCS has standing water on it. Not surprised after the amount of rain we've had this week. Have a lesson booked this Thursday & the following Wed. Just booked a block every Wed for Jan @ 12:00 We will see what happens. They're talking of moving a 172 down to Lydd maybe that will help. The last lesson a couple of weeks ago showed that a month layoff had unlearnt some of my skills.
Exam this coming Friday on principles of flight! At least that doesn't need a runway.
T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
Yeah I'd imagine Rochester will be out of action until Feb/Mar?

I'm hoping my 40-odd hours counts for something when I jump back into the cockpit and it all comes back to me

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
Nero wrote:Yeah I'd imagine Rochester will be out of action until Feb/Mar?

I'm hoping my 40-odd hours counts for something when I jump back into the cockpit and it all comes back to me

~ Scott

Yup quite likely.
I had an issue the other week where after a month C19 shutdown I was re-learning bits as it had been forgotten.
By Nero
I had an update yesterday from the school given London moving to T3.

Only students living in a London Borough can still go for lessons. There will be no full stop landings at any other airport and no solo lessons (as Biggin Hill doesn't allow it and not allowed to stop at another airport).

They are also continuing of course with safety measures including masks, sanitisers, temperature checks, and industrial grade disinfectant within the cockpits.

I'm happy to have a lesson in these conditions though it's unfortunate I cannot continue soloing. I do need to brush up on skills and need to go to Southend for practice.

Lesson booked for Saturday.

Weather looks rubbish...

~ Scott
By tr7v8
Another cancelled lesson at RCS! Damn the weather today is fantastic. Clear blue skies no wind. But runway unusable again. :-(
Exam for Principles of flight canx'd for Friday & moved to Wednesday morning.
So I have exam at 9 & then lesson at 10 all next Wednesday.
By Nero
Paul_Sengupta wrote:What's this RCS that keeps being mentioned? Royal College of Surgeons?
The enigma that is Rochester. An airfield on the top of a steep hill that regularly floods Image

~ Scott
By tr7v8
Paul_Sengupta wrote:What's this RCS that keeps being mentioned? Royal College of Surgeons?

Also known as EGTO, weird as said at the top of a hill yet floods. It is nearly 400ft AMSL.
There was a big project tis year in which it was going to get a hard runway but it didn't & won't happen.
By Fellsteruk
Good luck with the lessons, I think I’ve had about six lessons binned in past two weeks due to weather.

If it’s not covid it’s weather keeping us on the ground :(

Hoping to get my night rating boxed off on Sunday but I think it will be a wash out.

Never been to a grass airfield yet, I’m excited to I’ve it a go will likely be Barton and shizzing myself as you skirt over the m62 which from the car always looks too low :)
By Nero
Yep pretty certain weather will scupper it tomorrow

I've seen that Barton approach a lot on YouTube, does look a bit mad haha

~ Scott
By t1m80
@tr7v8 - talk to anyone that has been hanging around there for a while and I reckon that hard runway has been a project for at least a decade! They came close a couple of years ago or so (when the new airfield buildings were approved) but lost out to an insufficient environmental impact study that was called out at the last minute.

Unfortunately Rochester is in pretty close proximity to the local community (right in the middle of it) and noise seems to be the main sticking point. It'll be interesting to see what happens once the new buildings are in place and with the sad demise of Maypole.

I pretty much gave up flying in 2020. Hoping to resume in 2021 - catch you at RCS next year :-)