Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nero wrote:How about the more nuanced steps such as "at 200ft on approach turn off carb heat" or things like this?

This could open a can of worms - it is the subject of much discussion over the years on aviation forums. The two main reasons behind doing it is 1) So you have full power for a go-around, and 2) So you don't suck in unfiltered air when landing.

Some people think it's easy to select cold air as you go to full throttle in a go around, especially in a Cessna. Some people say that the risk of icing in the last 200 or 300ft is significant, some say it's not. Some say you should be approaching in a glide so that an engine failure at that stage won't matter.

At the moment, just do as your instructor wants. :D
By Nero
Well I don't want worms everywhere!!

OK I'll ask for a fuller pre-flight briefing as they've been a bit brief to date

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
By Rob P
The POH is a really good resource, especially when you've arrived for a lesson and been weathered off or the aircraft has gone tech

Rob P
JAFO liked this
By Nero
Merry Christmas all!

Q4 of 2019 has passed by and the update is.... Well, not a lot really.

Got a few hours in but not settled on a permanent instructor for the remainder of my PPL. Mainly because I've not been able to get the regular time or available slots.

I've had a couple of really great instructors though and it's been invaluable hearing the slightly different ways they do things. Of course, also a little confusing so the sooner I settle the better.

Last lesson was on PFLs which went pretty well. Going to try and finish it off on Sunday with a nice polished and memorised checklist.

Finding a field is hard!

It was also my first lesson where we landed in the dark (around 4:30pm). Watching the sunset was an amazing experience. So peaceful up there and the Christmas lights twinkling below.

Every few hours, there's a special moment in learning to fly which pulls me right back in, and I can't wait to pass :))

Rob P, Cessna571 liked this
By Wicksay
Keep at Nero... Keep us updated

Right now I can't wait to just fly again. Hopefully Sat. I've not witnessed a sunset yet while flying, so looking forward to that.
By Fellsteruk
How’s it going. I’ve been on the ground since late November and next lesson not planned for another two weeks :( I’m going mad and that’s just the books....
By Nero
Fellsteruk wrote:How’s it going. I’ve been on the ground since late November and next lesson not planned for another two weeks :( I’m going mad and that’s just the books....
Sorry to hear that!

On the plus side, it makes it the cheapest hobby in the world... :) that was my logic when I didn't get a lesson in for 3 months

Took my last exams on Sunday and get the results today because the examiner couldn't make it in during the storm.

Think I passed...

Need to pick up my ECG results from my gp to get my medical passed, and got a lesson booked for this weekend.

Finally found an instructor that I really like so I'm desperately trying to book as many slots as possible with him!

By Nero
Fellsteruk wrote:That’s great sure you aced them. Is that them all done now then? Exam wise.
Yup that'd be all 9 done assuming I've passed those :)

By Nero
Good news, everyone!

Passed those three exams so I've now completed all of my ground schooling :D

Medical done, exams done, now just that pesky flying part... up to about 19 hours so just another 26 to go (at least) :shock:
By cockney steve
Keep putting the cash away,for every cancelled lesson,- that way, when a "weather window" opens, you will be able to fulfil all those duplicate "contingency" bookings.
Mid February, an instructor called a student to say "Good forecast next week, I have slots A,B, C,D available
Stude books them all! "A" is a textbook calm clear day....rest of week, fogged -off. (so were both parties!)
By Nero
My preferred instructor opened his April availability via notification in a Whatsapp group and the slots went like .... [reconsiders original simile, insert your own!]...
But yes, I made sure I booked Sat and Sun for each weekend!
By kunaljarodia
I know how you feel!

Weather has been so limiting recently!

I'm live not far from Biggin hill myself, 10 minutes drive, but actually choose to study at Stapleford (Romford, North East London)

How is Biggin hill as a school?
By Wicksay
Nero wrote:Good news, everyone!

Passed those three exams so I've now completed all of my ground schooling :D

Medical done, exams done, now just that pesky flying part... up to about 19 hours so just another 26 to go (at least) :shock:
Congrats on getting the exams done. I have a two week holiday coming up and my Nav book is coming with me!
By Nero
kunaljarodia wrote:I know how you feel!

Weather has been so limiting recently!

I'm live not far from Biggin hill myself, 10 minutes drive, but actually choose to study at Stapleford (Romford, North East London)

How is Biggin hill as a school?
Can I ask why you chose Stapleford with Biggin on your doorstep?

It's a well run school with good resources. The instructors are all very different, which I'm sure is true everywhere. I've flown with three of them and all have their pros and cons, only natural.

The one thing with Biggin is that it doesn't have that clubhouse feel. I've never seen or noticed regular pilots just going up there for a cup of tea type situation, which is a shame.

But on the flip side you get a professional outfit with tarmac runway and business-like ATC with the jet traffic, good amount of planes and instructors too for availability