Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
t1m80 wrote:"I don't think I'd be comfortable taking passengers in my 50-100 hour range" - nonsense, by the time you pass the skills test you would've already been carrying a passenger for half the time - your instructor. There comes a point when they fold their arms and just let you get on with it :-)
Haha yeah that's already becoming the case on our legs to and from Lydd. Though he is a very skilled passenger...

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By Fellsteruk
Why wait for your PPL to get the night rating, your not able to could the five hours towards your 45 for ppl application but you can complete the five hours needed at the end of your ppl training so that when you apply for your Licence the night rating is added from the start.

Another option...
t1m80 liked this
By tommyp1441
Dude, firstly congrats on your solo! Absolutely buzzing for you.

There’s plenty of time post-EU divorce doesn’t EU/UK regs to be ironed out, so probably easiest to get yourself on track to 100 hours, then there might be a little more clarity once you’re there. With impending social changes due COVID who knows what’s around the corner. But keep us all posted, it’s great to hear you’re getting on well, and motivation for all the rest of us who are a long way off solo yet.

Top work mate, well done.

Tom
By Nero
tommyp1441 wrote:
Top work mate, well done.

Tom

Thanks, Tom

I'm still really happy from it. Though I've noticed that no one around me seems to know what the hell it means or how much it took to get here

"what so you were on your own? Weren't you scared??"

Yes solo is on my own and course I weren't scared, I was hella excited!!

Ah non-flying folk, whatever will we do with 'em?

~ Scott
tommyp1441, T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
ChrisRowland wrote:Just as well I didn't give my usual response "Congratulations on going solo, now you can learn to fly". It's how it felt to me.
Definitely. As that guy on YouTube says, "a good pilot is always learning"

~ Scott
By Flyingkeyboard
Great to see that a lot of us are making progress. I’ve been able to get a solo landaway ticked off my ‘to do’ list and will hopefully get my QXC done this coming week (weather on Wednesday permitting).

To anybody who has not yet done their FTROL training, I would recommend getting it done ASAP after circuits as it definitely improved my confidence and general capacity when coming back to Nav after a lay-off. I wish I’d done it a lot earlier. Anybody in the south west; pm me for a great RT instructor in the Gloucester area.
T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Flyingkeyboard wrote:I’ve been able to get a solo landaway ticked off my ‘to do’ list

I've said for some time that while first solo has all the glory, first solo land away, or maybe first solo land away to a place you've never been before, is the one which really makes you feel like a pilot.
By Nero
Having now done the solo, I can see what you mean. It was 7 minutes long and an exact repeat of something I'd done a couple dozen times before at least. Only difference was the guy next to me happened to not be there... Though when I'm on final, I forget he's there anyway

I'm still thrilled I did it but, I think I agree, getting in the plane from the very start on my own, starting it up, taking off, going somewhere new and hopefully finding it... That's a whole new level of solo!

Can't wait to do it

~ Scott
Hazel C, T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
Had a lesson today. The wind was too strong for solo circuits so we didn't bother making the journey to Lydd.

Instead we went West from Biggin for the first time. Navigating along the thin strip between Heathrow, Gatwick and Farnborough.

Went as far as Wisley/OCK, turned around and did some steep turns and spiral recoveries. I'm still not very comfortable with the feeling of a steep anything; goes against my self preservation

But I did some fairly decent work after a few tries, so a successful lesson overall!

~ Scott
By Nero
Thank you both!

I've gotten details of the FRTOL at my school, so I'll try and do that soon. Probably October with how this month is panning out.

Weather is looking promising for my lesson this coming Sunday - hopefully some more solo!

Steep turns have been playing on my mind. Why does a sharp turn and pull back result in disaster on base to final but is the normal method for a steep turn? Am I close to that situation in a steep turn? Or could a steep turn be performed on base? There 'only' seems to be about 10-15 knots in it, or is that the critical buffer?

~ Scott
By Flyingkeyboard
Nero wrote:Thank you both!

I've gotten details of the FRTOL at my school, so I'll try and do that soon. Probably October with how this month is panning out.

Weather is looking promising for my lesson this coming Sunday - hopefully some more solo!

Steep turns have been playing on my mind. Why does a sharp turn and pull back result in disaster on base to final but is the normal method for a steep turn? Am I close to that situation in a steep turn? Or could a steep turn be performed on base? There 'only' seems to be about 10-15 knots in it, or is that the critical buffer?

~ Scott

Lower airspeed, low height, low power, increased angle of attack.

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly ... inal-turn/
By Cessna571
What throttle setting do you use for a steep turn, what’s your our throttle setting when turning base?

What speed would you do a steep turn at, what speed do you turn base?