Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TopCat wrote::(

Why was it cancelled?

It's been nice out to the west of London all day so far.
The wind forecast

It's currently 18kt at Lydd so would be about 9kt cross wind

~ Scott
By T6Harvard
@Nero Oh frustrating. Again. Have you re-booked??

I've got a double lesson tomorrow, forecast light wind but some gusts luckily more or less down the runway. Unfortunately we'll be off 08 so any gusts will catch as I approach over the forestry. Should be OK though, if I can remember what to do!
By Nero
Well I thought I was doing my qxc last Thursday but it got called off because of a crosswind at Lydd of 7-8kts.

I'm a bit surprised as I landed at Southend in a 10-12kt crosswind just two weeks before with no assistance, but nevermind ...

Currency has been extended by a week due to a safe checkout during that flight, so I will be trying again on Wednesday 15th!

Forecast says an area of high pressure over the south coast with bases of 100-200m, so that probably won't happen.

Might just give up until the spring

~ Scott
By T6Harvard
A crosswind of 7kts meant they wouldn't sign you out? What were you going to fly, a balsa wood and paper construction?
Oh, @nero, that's a real disappointment!!

If your slot is later in the day you may be OK for Weds. I'll have my fingers crossed :thumleft:
By Nero
T6Harvard wrote:A crosswind of 7kts meant they wouldn't sign you out? What were you going to fly, a balsa wood and paper construction?
Oh, @nero, that's a real disappointment!!

If your slot is later in the day you may be OK for Weds. I'll have my fingers crossed :thumleft:
Yea that's how I felt!

I've moved it to Tuesday now as it looks to be a better day. Trying to look for a zero wind day is tricky

~ Scott
By Fellsteruk
Fingers crossed for next week I know you’ve been waiting an age 7kt limit does sound a tad conservative but then my school has a no student solo 10kt or above so I guess if it’s 7 and likely to increase makes sense.

All the best,I’ll be keeping everything crossed the wind stays calm!
By Nero
November and December didn't work out as planned flying-wise

I essentially booked off every Thursday to get a free slot and get this qxc done.

All I ended up doing was mucking around work with loads of changes to my leave, a single lesson to Southend and back, and no qxc

So I am giving up with 2021 and will book again in 2022 :)

Merry Christmas all!

~ Scott
By T6Harvard
Oh drat and double drat! It seems very unfair, given all the training you've done, to be still stuck due to the weather. You're so close now.

I'll be hoping you get a/c and wx lined up in January.

Merry Christmas and here's to 2022!
By Nero
It finally happened! Only took 7 months but I finally completed my QXC.

Took advantage of the beautiful weather on Sunday to fly solo for 3 hrs and well over the 150nm required.

Particularly proud of my landing at Biggin Hill given all the traffic and initially being very high and wide as I finished my fourth orbit and landed in between two jets taking off from the opposite end.

Need just 1.5 hrs more solo, bit of skills refreshing and a mock, then the final test!

~ Scott
Rob P, JAFO, Milty and 5 others liked this
By Rob P
Great news! :thumleft:

Rob P
By Nero
Picture of the route attached. It's Biggin to Lydd via Seaford, Lydd to Southend via Margate and then short hop back to Biggin.

To be honest, I question the whole point of a qxc these days. I basically followed skydemon to Seaford, then just pootle along the coast to Lydd. Bit of satnav to get me over to Margate but, by the time you reach Canterbury, you can see the entire northern and southern coasts of Kent... So just follow it... Easy.

No real navigation, no VOR tracking, no real airspace to contend with (Southend has control layers but it's still absolutely dead there), and the two people to 'sign me off' were two nice ladies in Customer Services who had no idea how I flew or landed.

Just not sure what was actually proven by this exercise Image

~ Scott