Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Rob P
We used to have student fly outs where experienced pilots would offer a lift to the selected venue to students in their locality.

I fear "due Covid" has put an end to that

Rob P
T6Harvard, GunnyD3v, Hazel C liked this
By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Back from my lesson and managed to squeeze in ten solo T&Gs and a go around

On my tenth circuit, I had a C152 bimbling along in front of me, I was thinking of coming in because my instructor said "about an hour" of solo, my speed was too low... and can't for the life of me remember if I was cleared to land or not. So I went around!

Got back to Biggin and it was a madhouse. I had the Spitfire's Caravan formation plane less than a mile off my 4 o'clock coming in, stuff on the ils, stuff on the circuit. Ended up on a 2.5 nm final but absolutely smooooooth landing. I was very happy!

Instructor mentioned that I need 3 hrs solo circuit (I'm up to 2hrs 5mins) but next lesson will probably be from Lydd and then leave the circuit to Tenterden, before returning to Lydd.

Also mentioned Lydd to Bewl Water to Eastbourne and back, which is about 70 miles :) ImageImageImage

~ Scott
T6Harvard, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Smashing it Nero, looks like you had some good weather for it. Was baking up north today, didn’t bother me too much till I was stuck doing orbits at the end of the downwind for what seemed like an age.

You’ll have that license in no time :)
By Nero
Fellsteruk wrote:You’ll have that license in no time :)

I do hope so!

Up to 38 hrs now and have managed 9.5 hrs in the last 3 weeks, so I'm definitely at the business end now.

I've been revising radio calls to try and get my FRTOL. Having never been to a RADIO or INFORMATION airfield, the calls have not become natural for me. But if a weekend looks like it'll be off due to weather, I'm going to get this penultimate test done.

Then hopefully onto the big finale...

~ Scott
Hazel C liked this
By T6Harvard
That's brilliant progress.

When did you take your first exams? I'd like to get a couple under my belt, have been studying during lockdown :roll:

BTW, the Spitfire came closer than that but as a result my photo omitted the prop so I prefer the above pic. The pilot is ex commander of the Royal Navy Memorial Flight, Don Sigourney. The guy in the back is MrT6 :mrgreen:
Last edited by T6Harvard on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Fellsteruk
Nero wrote:
Fellsteruk wrote:You’ll have that license in no time :)

I do hope so!

Up to 38 hrs now and have managed 9.5 hrs in the last 3 weeks, so I'm definitely at the business end now.

I've been revising radio calls to try and get my FRTOL. Having never been to a RADIO or INFORMATION airfield, the calls have not become natural for me. But if a weekend looks like it'll be off due to weather, I'm going to get this penultimate test done.

Then hopefully onto the big finale...

~ Scott

Home stretch now, I’m the same on FRTOL and with covid it’s been on hold my school are now doing it via zoom and then the exam face to face afterwards just waiting on dates however I still have my final written exam “NAV”.

Let’s keep everything crossed for a nice end to the summer and mild winter so we can keep flying :)
T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
T6Harvard wrote:That's brilliant progress.

When did you take your first exams? I'd like to get a couple under my belt, have been studying during lockdown :roll:
I did them over the winter when I was around 20 hours in. Three in each sitting about 3 weeks apart each. Just gotta bang through them :)

PPL Tutor was my daily obsession

~ Scott
T6Harvard, Hazel C liked this
By Miscellaneous
@Nero with the bomber circuit thread in mind I’m curious about the reason for the width of your circuits. Is that the norm for the airfield/what is taught by all, or specific instructors?
By Nero
Miscellaneous wrote:@Nero with the bomber circuit thread in mind I’m curious about the reason for the width of your circuits. Is that the norm for the airfield/what is taught by all, or specific instructors?

I was thinking the same actually given that SD offers a much tighter circuit in the screenshots.

I'm not sure why this is but my instructor tells me to turn downwind and aim for this building which is visible dead ahead on the southern bit of coastline. I'm then told to turn base just after I cross a road, which is why those are all so tightly aligned.

The only reason my upwind legs went a bit longer on a couple is because of that C152 in front of me so I extended.

Having done these circuits quite a few times now, I think it would be quite a lot for my student mind to whip around that SD circuit. So that's probably one thing in the instructors mind especially as I'm on my first solo circuits.

The other is that everyone else in the circuit seems to do the same. If anything, they go much wider, quite close to the power station and definitely into the danger area (it was not active but, still, good to avoid it as practice I think?)

That was a long winded way to say "I don't know, I was told to do it this way, and seems the norm at this field" :lol:
By Miscellaneous
Thanks @Nero I guessed everyone will be close to that distance. At 2 miles out you are certainly not getting in if the donkey stops. :wink:

Be interesting to know what reason the instructor gives, if asked.

You’ve given me something to play with next time I fly. To see what the picture looks like from 2 nm out. :thumright: Interestingly, as a consequence of the bomber thread I played with my base turn distance on Saturday and concluded I have been turning too early in an attempt to minimise the number of NIMBYs I fly over.