Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well done, we might meet at some point. I'm learning to flying with Skytrek at Rochester and they're talking of moving to Lydd when Rochester gets to soggy to fly.
By Nero
tr7v8 wrote:Well done, we might meet at some point. I'm learning to flying with Skytrek at Rochester and they're talking of moving to Lydd when Rochester gets to soggy to fly.
Then I'm glad I didn't learn with them, that would've put me out of action until the spring

Welcome to the learning club. Quite a few of us on here at the moment actively pushing towards our PPL

Where abouts do you live? Always good to know local pilots with similar experience

~ Scott
By tr7v8
I live in Lordswood around 10-15 mins from RCS one of the reasons I am learning there.
Lydd will be quite a haul from here, around an hour plus each way.
I have a lesson (my 9th) booked on Thursday. Hoping the weather is OK, the runway is just OK at the mo.
I assume you are more local to Lydd than me?
My other option was Headcorn but that is 30-40 mins depending on traffic.
By Nero
tr7v8 wrote:I assume you are more local to Lydd than me?
My other option was Headcorn but that is 30-40 mins depending on traffic.

Ah okay. No I'm Croydon and learn out of Biggin Hill; but they don't like students so we fly to Lydd for circuits!

Just taken a look at Windy and the forecast doesn't look great again for the weekend. Strong winds and rain as we had last weekend.

I need to fit in a landing at Southend so hopefully there is a small gap in the weather to allow that hour round trip
By Nero
Just booked myself for every weekend from now until the end of February and it struck me that I may not need all of them if things go well! Gulp!!

I'm at 43 hours and need to do:

- longer solo nav to follow on from my 80nm first solo nav
- land at Southend to see how it works there
- QXC
- refresher on general handling (stalls mainly) because it's been *ages*
- refresher on flapless and glide landing
- a mock skills test or two
- SKILLS TEST

So about 12 hrs tuition split into 3 or 4 really good weather days and a couple short lessons.

Would hope to be done by end of January

It's getting real!!! Ahhhhhh

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
I'm booked for lesson No. 9 tomorrow at RCS. Looking at the Met the chances of this happening are nil by the look of it, Also booked 2 & 6th Nov.
Have Exam on Friday for Aircraft General Knowledge that looks more likely!
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
Oh well didn't happen today. Waited for the airfield staff to decide whether the runway was OK. Eventually git a thumbs up with caution. Unfortunately the cloud came in, it peed with rain so no play today.
Next lesson the 2nd!
T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
Yeah I'll be happy if a quarter of the lessons I booked last night actually happen! Same thing happened last winter even with the long, long tarmac runway of Biggin Hill.

So I did all my exams instead

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
Hurrah! Another pass. I found Aircraft General Knowledge fairly easy. First question: where are the ailerons fitted? Got one wrong in 20 The wrong one was about instrumentations.
T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
T6Harvard wrote:Good news again!

No flying tomorrow, methinks :cry:
Yeah I'm thinking the same... Winds very high and gusts especially strong into the south coast where I'd have to start. And a bit too strong in the Thames Estuary for Southend

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
Thanks, discussing the weather at the flying school today, Sat-Monday are horrible 40Kt winds in the SE Sunday. Unfortunately I have a lesson booked Monday :-( Also one booked Friday which looks like it be more promising!
By Fellsteruk
Sure is a windy one this weekend, I got a planned 25kt cross wind and gusts of 45kt Not flying tomorrow for me up north...

Then again the POH does say “demonstrated 17kt crosswind” :)