Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T6Harvard wrote:vis was 20k but there was no horizon!

20k is only 12 miles.

Facing into sun as opposed to away from it also makes a huge difference in this weather, from 'can't see a damn thing' to 'actually not all that bad'.
T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
TopCat wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:vis was 20k but there was no horizon!

20k is only 12 miles.

Facing into sun as opposed to away from it also makes a huge difference in this weather, from 'can't see a damn thing' to 'actually not all that bad'.
Yeah that was the issue. They said they couldn't see Sevenoaks from Biggin, which is about 4-5 miles, and into the sun or angular views were very limited viz

Totally understand the decision but frustrating as the weather is turning bad again and I have a very busy August planned.

Ah well, such is flying!

~ Scott
By GrahamB
Never be suckered into thinking CAVOK automatically means great visibility. It often will, but 10km viz is not that easy, especially as TC says when facing up sun.
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
GrahamB wrote:but 10km viz is not that easy, especially as TC says when facing up sun.

Yep. Before I had SkyDemon, when I did all my navigation with a paper map (until less than 4 years ago!), I generally wouldn't go flying if the vis was literally only 10k.

6 miles vis is simply rubbish, and navigating any kind of distance, except perhaps a route that is extremely familiar, without GPS or other navaids, is such hard work that I'd probably just wait for a better day.

Especially these days, where you're hung, drawn and quartered for the slightest corner-clipping.
By Nero
Took me a while to find my own thread!

Hello guys and girls,

Been a while..

I've gone from being on the cusp of my qxc and instructor wanting me qualified within a few weeks, to having not flown in the last two months.

Mixture of very poor summer weather, busy at work, kids, and trying to move house now Summer is over (though that season doesn't seem to help much as mentioned!).

Shortening days also mean my instructor is very busy and fully booked... So I'm hoping to get a checkout from a new instructor next weekend, and then we'll see about this qxc!!

Hope you're all doing well

~ Scott
tr7v8, T6Harvard, Milty and 2 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Sorry to hear that but sounds like a good plan… this time of year is never easy but wishing you all the best.

Maybe consider doing a night rating if your can as it gets you some more flying experience when you otherwise couldn’t due to it being dark.
By T6Harvard
I've just seen that Sleap (Shropshire Aero Club) are offering night ratings, every Thursday from next week, cafe open for proper dinners before or after. and groundschool too.
By Nero
Well I'm no where near Shropshire but yes very good point, I had mentioned this to my instructor last winter. Might as well tag it on to get some flying time and a rating!

Looks like this weekend will be another one of no flying.... Rain forecast

~ Scott
By T6Harvard
Yes, I cancelled both my lessons this week, firstly I saw the forecast for tomorrow and secondly I have a social event that means I won't really be fit to fly the day after that :lol:
I really fancy doing the night rating but I'll have to learn how to land in daylight first :roll: :lol:
tr7v8 liked this
By tr7v8
Weather has been poor in Chatham all day, windy & wet. But just asked Alexa and she reckons dry & low windspeeds so we'll see as I have a lesson at 10:00 tomorrow
By TopCat
tr7v8 wrote:Weather has been poor in Chatham all day, windy & wet. But just asked Alexa and she reckons dry & low windspeeds so we'll see as I have a lesson at 10:00 tomorrow

It'll be nice tomorrow but breezy.