Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Charles Hunt
Just on paperwork I'm sure on my QXC I had to get a bit of paper signed by ATC at each stop and it included space for comments on airmanship and landing IIRC.

Is this no longer the case?
JAFO liked this
By tcc1000
No, I didn't get anything signed (nor did I need to). I also thought the 150nm was calculated by measuring the direct distance between airfields, not the actualy route, but I may be wrong on that.
By Crash one
tcc1000 wrote:No, I didn't get anything signed (nor did I need to). I also thought the 150nm was calculated by measuring the direct distance between airfields, not the actualy route, but I may be wrong on that.

Not when I did mine, NPPL only required 100nm but consisted of an out of 31 miles, nearly 180 turn over a waypoint, 33 miles to first landing, 12 miles to second landing then another out to waypoint and return home. Total 114 miles.
Airfield to airfield to airfield would measure 41 miles. Nothing like far enough!
Signature and comments at each landing.
By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Seems to be no mention of straight distance between airfields. Simply the route has to be 150nm and two airfields at some point

Doesn't mention it being signed off but I believe that's the normal method.

Instructor is happy with my planned route. Just waiting on the weather! Already had tomorrow's possibility cancelled due to rain/cloud

~ Scott
T6Harvard, tr7v8 liked this
By Steve C64
57 cancelled QXC bookings!? :-0 :shock:
Well that makes me feel a bit better ...or worse. I've been doing my QXC dual/solo exercises since January last year and though that was a long time . Weather/Covid/airfields shut & changing routes/Aircraft availability/Covid 2 /Weather (mostly) ....and I've been available 3 days a week. Thing is, I'm hooked and there's no giving up now. Currently waiting for a weather window ,again, for 'new' Leg 2 dual , then solo , then the whole triangle dual , then QXC Solo :wink: :D . Might take some time yet to get there , but it's all part of the process/fun, right?
I'm gaining some good general experience and Farnborough Zone transits along the way, but I would really like to tick this off for at least a sense of progress :arrow:
T6Harvard liked this
By Nero

But I did sneak in an hour with the instructor yesterday evening as it'd been four weeks since my last flight.

It was actually really useful to knock out some rust and go through some of the finer points.

I made some errors but we're at a stage together now that he doesn't say anything and let's me find and correct it.

Except for nearly busting the class A above Biggin, which he did point out, and I'm glad he did! Before the lesson, we'd been talking about a recent noise abatement issue with another student and I was really focused on where I should and shouldn't be compared to the villages rather than the air above...

Next booked for Thursday!

~ Scott
By Nero
Got as far as prepping the plane today!

ATIS had low viz but improving. So at 9am I was there and started prepping.

Too hazy then so instructor went off on his first lesson and I sat around for two hours

Came back at 1130am and, even tho every ATIS in the South East was saying CAVOK, two instructors said the viz was too bad and so we erred on the side of caution and I went home...

If I can't fly on a cavok day in July, when will this qxc ever happen?! Doooooommmmmeeeeeeedddd

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By bladerunner911
That really sucks! I'm only at the beginning of my journey but the weather has already caused havoc a number of times. I can only imagine how frustrated you must be!
I have wondered exactly the same thing as you, especially at this time of year when I would expect it to be the best conditions for flying...
It will happen, all things happen for a reason is my usualy justification for me not being able to do something 8)
By Fellsteruk
Gutted for you dude! It will happen though stick in there.

I can appreciate how frustrating it must be calling off a flight for bad weather is one thing but with the weather we’re having now you’d think you’d be fine.

That said this heat makes for zero fun flying unless your posh and have aircon was flying earlier in week morning was manageable but hot then on the way back at lunch time I felt like I was gonna keel over, vents, window open and did nothing make sure you take plenty of water with you if you do get to do over the next week or so

Good luck :)
By T6Harvard
Oh no! That's a shame and a half. How frustrating.

We had a lot of haze this afto, although Instructor said vis was 20k but there was no horizon!, then suddenly distant landmarks in this new-to-me area were clearer. It was 33.5°C though....

They should put those ads back on the telly for Sure antiperspirant, remember the ones where they sprayed someone's back with the Sure tick? The 'covid' wipe-down is getting grimmer atm!! (Where's the sweating emoji when you need it?)