Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Seems like cheating to have a QXC which just follows the coast! :D

You get a form for someone to sign at each of your intermediate stops, rating your landing and your airmanship. Or you did in my day...
By Fellsteruk
Wow looks like a cracking route and far more complex than mine which was a handful of very long straight legs :)

It’s funny you mention the paperwork/stamp etc, when I got to Gloucester and paid my landing fee they asked “do you need me to sign anything” I was like no all good thanks, got an odd look and off I went.

It seems a lot still do that but not mandatory, so I’m told. I had my QXC approval certificate from the head of training but that’s all the paperwork I had other than plog and some plates.

I hope the weather is good for you and the only advice I can give is enjoy it but I know you will :thumleft: :thumleft:
By Nero
Ah okay. I'd imagine Lydd and Southend will as they get quite a lot of qxc

And yes it is absolutely cheating to follow the coast especially with skydemon in tow. To my defence, I've only been west towards Farnborough once and never been north besides those brief bits into/out of Southend.

So I must go South-East!

My first attempt north west will likely be post-PPL on my own. Which is a worry but nevermind... I'll just get on with it when the time comes

~ Scott
By TopCat
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Seems like cheating to have a QXC which just follows the coast! :D

This might be a false memory but I thought there was a requirement for at least one of the legs of a QXC to be between airfields at least 50nm apart.

Is that not (or no longer) the case?
By Fellsteruk
Good on ya and don’t fret about the coast, let’s face it anyone doing a QXC with SkyDemon has it easy from a Nav POV, no matter where you go. Don’t stress about heading north west once you get past all that crazy CAS down your end it’s miles upon miles of open space to frolic in :)

I thought it was just a route of 150nm min and take in two airfields not including departure and that was it?
By Nero
10 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 5 hours of solo cross-country flight time with at least 1 cross country flight of at least 270 km (150 NM) that includes full stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from the departure aerodrome.

No requirement for distance between airfields

~ Scott
By TopCat
Nero wrote:
10 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 5 hours of solo cross-country flight time with at least 1 cross country flight of at least 270 km (150 NM) that includes full stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from the departure aerodrome.

No requirement for distance between airfields

Interesting. So if the route was White Waltham - Blackbushe - Wycombe - White Waltham, how does one prove that one went via Worcester to bump the miles up without a Sky Demon log?

Is there a definition of 'cross country'? I have a possibly also false memory (it's 25 years since I used my FAA PPL) that in the USA, a cross country flight has to be to an airfield at least 50nm away to count as such.
By Paul_Sengupta
TopCat wrote:I have a possibly also false memory (it's 25 years since I used my FAA PPL) that in the USA, a cross country flight has to be to an airfield at least 50nm away to count as such.

Yes.

That makes this the longest non-cross country flight ever, as it took off and landed at the same airport.

https://www.historynet.com/nonstop-voyage-around-the-world.htm
JAFO liked this
By Nero
The definition seems to be just the distance with experience of landing away. Though given that all my tuition and solo work has been at one of the land aways, it's like a second home!

I've no idea how they prove I followed the route that I actually planned rather than direct to Southend and sit in the McDonald's

I will do it of course because it's a beautiful route and will be a perfect weather day. Can't wait!

~ Scott
By Nero
Fellsteruk wrote:Weather looks really bad down your end sorry it messed ya plans, when is your backup date to try again?
Any day the weather looks decent. Nothing booked in, so can be pretty last minute.

Probably too busy at work this week so looking at next weekend or into a week day next week

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By Fellsteruk
Fingers crossed for you dude next week is apparently gonna be better but then I saw on the tv another system is working it’s way through France and north so who knows. But I have everything crossed.

The joys of GB weather.