Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T6Harvard wrote:Nah, you did it, all on your own, perfectly competently!
But...... I definitely need to move nearer the coast before my Nav
Haha does make things easier :) don't get me wrong, it was the absolute best experience and so beautiful flying along the coast on my own without instruction. Loved every moment of it!

Just don't see why it held up my having a licence :)

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
Nero wrote:Just not sure what was actually proven by this exercise

It proves that you can fly yourself to two non-base airfields, integrate with ATC and other traffic, all in one trip, without supervision, and get yourself back to base, doing the same thing, without cocking it all up and looking like a muppet.

That in itself is not trivial, and it's a milestone in itself.

My own personal opinion is that allowing arbitrary waypoints to make up the distance requirements is rubbish, but that's not your fault. My QXC in 1992 was Goodwood - Shoreham - Headcorn - Goodwood, and I remember thinking at the time that allowing Goodwood -Shoreham made it a bit of a sham, but a few trips later and it was all completely irrelevant. Just like your GCSE grades are today.

Think of it just as a step on the way. Your skills test will be a more interesting nav test, hopefully.
By Nero
Thanks for the posts both. I've not had a lesson since the qxc due to weather and preparations for moving house tomorrow.

Once that's out the way, and storm Tom, Dick and Harry have passed through, I'll be hoping to book my last lessons.

I need 1.5 hrs more solo, skills refresher, full mock and then the real test!

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
Time keeps flying forward!

Next lesson definitely a mock but trying to fit it in during a busy few summer weeks is proving tricky.

So I've spent late evenings on my sim, reading the CAA forms and watching YouTube videos of check ride mocks :) any opportunity to make myself as familiar as possible with it!

Promise to be finished soon.. :D
By T6Harvard
Come on, hurry up!!

[Watch out for time limits on theory exams. Sorry I can't recall when you passed the last one but my friend ended up with a week to take her skill test before she'd lose all the exam passes. Which, frankly, is pressure one could well do without,]
tr7v8 liked this
By Nero
Three years later..... AND I HAVE PASSED!!!

After two mock tests, and an additional last minute lesson on Friday to practice the different landing types, I had my first attempt at a skills test on Saturday morning and am very relieved to have passed it.

Definitely not perfect, and it was bloody hot, but the vast majority seemed to all come together for a very intense two hours.

Sent the online application on Sunday, received a positive first stage email from the CAA today and hope to have my hands on a brand new license ASAP!

Happy to take any questions from the students here. By no means suddenly an expert on passing but maybe I can help reassure you

Trying to decide where to fly to first...

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
T6Harvard, Milty, UncleT and 9 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Massive congratulations @Nero !!!!
Brilliant news :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm so pleased for you.

Don't forget to come to Tatenhill for cake once you've worked down your list of airfields to visit :lol:
By Milty
Well done @Nero. Must be a great feeling. Just in time to get some nice summer flying in. What are your next steps? Different aircraft? Any particular type of field? Rent, share or buy?