Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

User avatar
By Flyingfemme
#1687828
Flexibility is the key to getting places. I have a CPL/IR and an instrument equipped aircraft with an autopilot. No deice......... The trick to getting places is to be flexible on timing. Some weeks I change the day according to the weather forecast. Most weeks I get where I’m going.
User avatar
By David Wood
#1687898
Flyingfemme wrote:Flexibility is the key to getting places. I have a CPL/IR and an instrument equipped aircraft with an autopilot. No deice......... The trick to getting places is to be flexible on timing. Some weeks I change the day according to the weather forecast. Most weeks I get where I’m going.


I agree. I'm in exactly the same boat. Flexibility is the key - as is understanding the limitations of your rating, your currency, your aeroplane and the weather. Three of those are under our control but sadly nothing renders us immune to the mischief of the Weather Gods.
By Nero
#1687900
David Wood wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:Flexibility is the key to getting places. I have a CPL/IR and an instrument equipped aircraft with an autopilot. No deice......... The trick to getting places is to be flexible on timing. Some weeks I change the day according to the weather forecast. Most weeks I get where I’m going.


I agree. I'm in exactly the same boat. Flexibility is the key - as is understanding the limitations of your rating, your currency, your aeroplane and the weather. Three of those are under our control but sadly nothing renders us immune to the mischief of the Weather Gods.
Yeah I need to check how long the five hour package is valid for. I'm sure it'll be long enough but I realised I don't know

Maybe I can do an anti cloud dance hmm

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
User avatar
By David Wood
#1687905
@Nero, if you are serious about IFR flying (whether with an IRR or an IR in due course) then I also strongly recommend that you join the PPL-IR organisation. As the name suggests, it is focused on PPL IR/IRR-holders; in other words, on real-world GA IFR-flying rather than the world of airlines and commercial air transport. Although most of its members are UK-based it has a European perspective. Some of its members are IFR-beginners like you. At the other end of the scale some are highly experienced biz-jet pilots. Many of the rest of us sit somewhere in the middle. But everyone is treated with the same respect.
I've been a member for three or four years now and I've found it a truly invaluable source of information, advice and help. The members are all practical IFR-ers, genuinely keen to help, and there is none of the misinformed willy-waving that one tends to get on some parts of this forum.
By Nero
#1687907
David Wood wrote:@Nero, if you are serious about IFR flying (whether with an IRR or an IR in due course) then I also strongly recommend that you join the PPL-IR organisation. As the name suggests, it is focused on PPL IR/IRR-holders; in other words, on real-world GA IFR-flying rather than the world of airlines and commercial air transport. Although most of its members are UK-based it has a European perspective. Some of its members are IFR-beginners like you. At the other end of the scale some are highly experienced biz-jet pilots. Many of the rest of us sit somewhere in the middle. But everyone is treated with the same respect.
I've been a member for three or four years now and I've found it a truly invaluable source of information, advice and help. The members are all practical IFR-ers, genuinely keen to help, and there is none of the misinformed willy-waving that one tends to get on some parts of this forum.
That's excellent, thanks

As you say, I'm right at the start of all this but I definitely wouldn't want our usual type of weather to limit me post-PPL.

I'd also love to one day do the hour building course touring a circuit of Europe. The flying reporter did one via Croatia and it looked amazing! Again, wouldn't want experiences like this constantly shafted because of pesky clouds.

I'll read about that organisation today :)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
User avatar
By cadoganpier
#1688099
Nero wrote:
David Wood wrote:@Nero, if you are serious about IFR flying (whether with an IRR or an IR in due course) then I also strongly recommend that you join the PPL-IR organisation. As the name suggests, it is focused on PPL IR/IRR-holders; in other words, on real-world GA IFR-flying rather than the world of airlines and commercial air transport. Although most of its members are UK-based it has a European perspective. Some of its members are IFR-beginners like you. At the other end of the scale some are highly experienced biz-jet pilots. Many of the rest of us sit somewhere in the middle. But everyone is treated with the same respect.
I've been a member for three or four years now and I've found it a truly invaluable source of information, advice and help. The members are all practical IFR-ers, genuinely keen to help, and there is none of the misinformed willy-waving that one tends to get on some parts of this forum.
That's excellent, thanks

As you say, I'm right at the start of all this but I definitely wouldn't want our usual type of weather to limit me post-PPL.

I'd also love to one day do the hour building course touring a circuit of Europe. The flying reporter did one via Croatia and it looked amazing! Again, wouldn't want experiences like this constantly shafted because of pesky clouds.



I'll read about that organisation today :)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk


I met the PPL-IR guys at the Wycombe Air Expo, really friendly and approachable lot. Re the European touring thing I've got a trial run to La Rochelle ( weather Gods permitting) next week with James from Buddy's Aviation. I figured it would be a good way to test the route and I feel much more comfortable with an experienced pair of hands along side.
User avatar
By Flyingfemme
#1688337
Money is the answer to most things. The application of a million dollars (or so) can supply an aircraft that will get through most things if the crew have the right training and currency. For the UK I recommend a Cessna Caravan :D There’s a reason that they are the choice of many small carriers all over the world. With a bit more money a PC12 is faster and more plush.
Lacking vast amounts of dosh you have to cultivate flexibility - not always easy with the demands of work, family etc but the great thing about the weather (even in the UK) is that it changes!
By Nero
#1688345
Lesson booked for 1pm today

Excitement building this morning at 7am as I saw the weather is looking more than acceptable

Phone rings at 9am... It's the flight school... Gulp... The instructor is sick today.

:-(


Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
By t1m80
#1688350
I'm not sure this necessarily helps but I've been booking 2 lessons a week for the last 18 months and I'm still only at 42 hours. I've learned a lot of things in my PPL training so far but I think the biggest lesson has been patience :-). I now just treat it as all part and parcel of learning, and every cancelled lesson as a test of my patience rather than a test of my flying.

Oddly enough I had a period between November and May last year where I didn't get to fly at all due to weather, FI availability, planes going tech and illness. The following lesson was the best I've ever flown! It all comes to those who wait....
Christo liked this
By Nero
#1688352
t1m80 wrote:I'm not sure this necessarily helps but I've been booking 2 lessons a week for the last 18 months and I'm still only at 42 hours. I've learned a lot of things in my PPL training so far but I think the biggest lesson has been patience :-). I now just treat it as all part and parcel of learning, and every cancelled lesson as a test of my patience rather than a test of my flying.

Oddly enough I had a period between November and May last year where I didn't get to fly at all due to weather, FI availability, planes going tech and illness. The following lesson was the best I've ever flown! It all comes to those who wait....
Hah yes it is definitely lesson #1 of learning to fly. I now expect it rather than disappointed so it will definitely feel great to finally do it :)

I'm away myself for the next two weekends so next lesson booked for first weekend of May and I've booked both the Saturday and Sunday to maximise my chances!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
t1m80 liked this
By Nero
#1688370
Flyingfemme wrote:Money is the answer to most things. The application of a million dollars (or so) can supply an aircraft that will get through most things if the crew have the right training and currency. For the UK I recommend a Cessna Caravan :D There’s a reason that they are the choice of many small carriers all over the world. With a bit more money a PC12 is faster and more plush.
Lacking vast amounts of dosh you have to cultivate flexibility - not always easy with the demands of work, family etc but the great thing about the weather (even in the UK) is that it changes!
They're rather pricey! A nice Baron or Navajo would do me

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
By anoopbamrah
#1691253
Nero wrote:Lesson booked for 1pm today

Excitement building this morning at 7am as I saw the weather is looking more than acceptable

Phone rings at 9am... It's the flight school... Gulp... The instructor is sick today.

:-(



That sucks, sorry! Hopefully you were scheduled in for further lessons. Any problems with the scheduling or instructors please chat to the Ops chaps or ask the owner to give you a call - they're all quite friendly and happy to help & advise as required. Good luck with your training!
By Nero
#1692916
Managed to get just over two hours of flying lessons in over last weekend :)

Saturday was very windy. Very much in at the deep end! But it was very fun

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
By Nero
#1700584
So, after many false starts, I had my first lesson on 4th May and my fifth hour of learning last weekend

5 hrs in 6 weeks feels pretty good considering!

It's going really well and my instructor is really great.

A holiday to Crete and the Biggin Hill Airshow will get in the way a bit but I'm loving the experience :)

I also really enjoy mixing it up with the Spitfires that operate out of Biggin!!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
By Wicksay
#1700585
Good to hear you are on your way Nero. Let us know when you get that first solo in. And yes mixing it up with the Spitfires is both awesome and distracting lol