Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By SimFlyer
Just up the road! There are two schools in Durham Tees: Eden Flight Training and Scenic Air Tours. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Do not pay up front.

By philjlan
I suggest you check carefully what is included in that £6900.

Typically deals like that cover only the minimum 45 hours training and most pilots need more.

Is the cost of the examiner and the aircraft for the skills test included - likely to be up to a couple of hours flying plus the examiner's fee.

Does it include the ground exams, nine of them at £25 each if I remember correctly. What about the radio license test? Is that included?

Landing fees away from home base? Included, or extra?

But don't let this stop you - just don't think it can be done on the cheap. You'll need as many hours as it takes - and you'll probably enjoy every one of them!

Maybe try to contact a local pilot or student who's done the training at that school. Check it out.

Good luck to you!
By PaulB
flybymike wrote:Don’t pay in full up front.

We see this advice over and over again, presumably because some people have lost out as schools have gone bust, but would paying by credit card offer any protection and would it be acceptable?
By eltonioni
The exception to that might be the schools which are actually long standing flying clubs that own / operate their airfield. I'd have no problem spaffing (word of the week) up the money to (for example) Sheffield Aero Club or Sherborne. Not sure if they would take it mind, which could be the point.
By lobstaboy
eltonioni wrote:The exception to that might be the schools which are actually long standing flying clubs that own / operate their airfield. I'd have no problem spaffing (word of the week) up the money to (for example) Sheffield Aero Club or Sherborne. Not sure if they would take it mind, which could be the point.

Yes, totally agree. Businesses offering a deal up front are doing it for one reason only - they need cash now! Do you want to be a customer of such a business? I'd suggest not. Do not pay up front, unless you are prepared to risk losing the money AND the potential hassle of transferring to another school (which will mean getting your records from the one that's gone bust - not always easy).

It's definitely a good idea to spend time doing your research and making sure it all fits for you.
By David Wood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dman wrote:Was really looking recommendations, the one at Teeside has an offer at the moment for a Zero to Licence for £6900 for a 4 seat PA28

It is certainly worth putting some thought into which school to use, if you have choices. The best way to do that is to meet them and let your gut tell you. You are obviously an adult and if you are a farmer you are probably a pretty shrewed judge of people and things. Usually one can tell if a school and its instructors are open, professional, flexible, customer-focussed etc and your instinct is invariably a good guide. Consider signing up for a Trial Lesson with any one you like the look of. It isn't wasted effort/money even if you ultimately choose somewhere else because (provided that it is actually a Trial Lesson and not an Introductory Flight) then the time can count towards your total of training time. And it will give you a good chance to get a feel for the place and the instructors.

Until very recently I was Head of Training and CFI at an ATO in the South of England. I always encouraged potential students to to a Trial Lesson if they weren't sure, and we had a very high level of sign-up after that. Let your instinct guide you.
lobstaboy liked this
By Dman
As said above
On the payment side of things, if a lump was paid by credit card, surely i would be covered if they went bump
even paying by the lesson a club can go under, meaning having to swap clubs
By lobstaboy
Dman wrote:As said above
On the payment side of things, if a lump was paid by credit card, surely i would be covered if they went bump
even paying by the lesson a club can go under, meaning having to swap clubs

All true, of course. But remember also that the cost to you in money is only part of it. You are paying to enjoy yourself and to be trained well so that you can enjoy a long and safe flying career. Your time, travel time, effort and so on are part of it. This is why how well the school/club "gels" for you is at least as important as financial cost.
Do not expect schools to offer a consistent product. Instructors should deliver to a minimum standard, yes, but anything else is down to you to assess and decide if they offer the 'experience' that you are looking for.
Dman liked this
By Dman
Well if I smoked 20 Benson and hedges a day
Apparently it would cost me £618 a year at Asda`s prices
So 10 years of not smoking about covers the basics, by the time you add in the odd extra packet or cigar or whatever
As I don`t smoke then I think I can justify it
Add to that the fact that I only drink on days ending in a Y
Then jobs a gooden
By Miscellaneous
Dman wrote:Apparently it would cost me £618 a year at Asda`s prices

I've never smoked and have no idea the cost, however I'd bet a dram or two your arithmetic needs checking. :D
By Miscellaneous
Dman wrote:Yeh
I just guessed the price of 20

Who cares :thumright:

As long as you don't use the same arithmetic methods in your navigation. Otherwise there's a high possibility you will become the topic of a 100 page thread. :wink:
Dman liked this