Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By cotterpot
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You may find Autumn/Winter better for more stable conditions. I did mine Sept to May - in the UK - but missed hardly any lessons due to weather.

Not sure about islands - I do know the fog can cover Guernsey in a very short time :thumright:
By Guernsey Ben
Yes, I agree autumn can be a good time. Fog on the island seems to be more of a problem during spring, but autumn can have some wonderfully clear/crisp days.
The issue tends to be the wind which can become quite gusty when you get into October.
Fingers crossed it will be a good autumn!
By Guernsey Ben
So after a pretty awful month of weather and several cancelled lessons, the sun finally appeared and the winds died down yesterday for my 8th lesson.
I was expecting to be quite rusty as haven't flown in a while but things went quite well mainly due to near perfect conditions with virtually no wind.
I certainly wasn't expecting my instructor to send me on my first solo but after a few good landings thats exactly what he did!
He got out and left me to do a circuit on my own. No time for any nerves, and it went very smoothly.
It's a fantastic feeling. My only disappointment is my camera ran out of battery shortly after take off so I didn't capture it all but it's a day I'll never forget!

MachFlyer, Cessna571, A le Ron and 3 others liked this
By Guernsey Ben
Finally passed my PPL skills test in Guernsey on Tuesday after a 2 year journey with several challenges including lockdown breaks, instructor changes and weather delays. In the end I did it on 45hrs.
A great feeling to have achieved it, just waiting to sort out the paperwork then hopefully get some trips in this summer!
Rob P, MachFlyer, dgahlawat and 1 others liked this
By Rob P
Well done Ben. That's excellent news. :thumleft:

Rob P
Guernsey Ben liked this