Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By SimFlyer
#1677453
Is the radio telephony license (FRTOL) different from the 9 TK exams for a PPL? Or is it included in the Communications exam? So is it 9 TK exams, skill test, plus FRTOL?

Thanks!
User avatar
By T67M
#1677459
Both PPL and FRTOL are licences. The PPL requires 9 written exams and a flight test. The FRTOL requires 1 written exam and a ground-based practical. The FRTOL written exam is the same as one of the 9 exams for the PPL, and this only needs to be taken once for both licences.
User avatar
By PaulB
#1677478
I had an old JAR FRTOL but it was not renewed when I changed to an EASA PPL. Is an EASA FRTOL embedded in the PPL or a separate bit of paper?
By SimFlyer
#1677495
Thanks for clarifying! If I read that correctly, these two are separate so one can have a PPL but not have FRTOL? If so, my next question is "why?" I thought FRTOL was needed to operate/transmit on the radios and therefore essential? At least compared to things like IR(R) or Night Rating where one can simply limit to flying VFR during daylight hours, opting out of radio communications operation would be flying with a handicap.
User avatar
By Irv Lee
#1677509
@Simflyer Historic.
Usually any RF, DTO or ATO club will insist on a radio licence before PPL licence application, but you'd be surprised how many NPPL clubs have students getting licences APPARENTLY just to fly aircraft without electrics from airstrips without radio once qualified. :roll:
By riverrock
#1677695
PaulB wrote:I had an old JAR FRTOL but it was not renewed when I changed to an EASA PPL. Is an EASA FRTOL embedded in the PPL or a separate bit of paper?

Embedded.
By paulo999
#1677795
PaulB wrote:I had an old JAR FRTOL but it was not renewed when I changed to an EASA PPL. Is an EASA FRTOL embedded in the PPL or a separate bit of paper?


My JAR FRTOL had a (long since passed) expiry date.

I was under the impression that this meant having to redo RT exams, separate to the conversion of the PPL to EASA. Which I’ve duly done.

Now makes me wonder whether I was right about the necessity (though no harm done by going through it anyway)
User avatar
By Irv Lee
#1677796
@paulo999 You don't renew FRTOL with exams or money, if expired you use the same form as used for issue (1106) but cross out most sections except personal and licence details out.
Your examiner should have told you.
And I suspect, if you had an expired frtol, simply listing it on your conversion to easa ppl application would have renewed it without an 1106.
By paulo999
#1677798
Irv Lee wrote:@paulo999 You don't renew FRTOL with exams or money, if expired you use the same form as used for issue (1106) but cross out most sections except personal and licence details out.
Your examiner should have told you.


Thanks Irv. Ah well, it’s all learning.

(To be fair on my examiner, it wasn’t his steer - I’d got the idea in my head sometime before engaging).
By ninja-lewis
#1678450
SimFlyer wrote:Thanks for clarifying! If I read that correctly, these two are separate so one can have a PPL but not have FRTOL? If so, my next question is "why?" I thought FRTOL was needed to operate/transmit on the radios and therefore essential? At least compared to things like IR(R) or Night Rating where one can simply limit to flying VFR during daylight hours, opting out of radio communications operation would be flying with a handicap.
Some of us are.

http://www.deafpilots.co.uk/
http://www.deafpilots.org/
flybymike liked this