Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I’ve recently started my PPL (around 6 hours in) and loving every minute in the air - and with the books on the ground!

Am doing my PPL at Flyers in Elstree every single weekend the weather allows. I’ve heard a lot of less than optimal things about Elstree reading online, but I must say, I think is brilliant - nice atmosphere and restaurant, super pleasant ATC and generally a very nice feel to the place. My school is also amazing - am excited to go into every lesson.

Anyway, slightly pointless message, but if someone has any questions about starting out or Elstree I’d be happy to answer whatever my limited knowledge and experience will allow (just don’t ask me to find Canal Bend! I can never spot it!)

F
Jon G4LJW, Morten liked this
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi Fonzie

Excellent news and an excellent choice. The facilities at Elstree for a student are great and the generally very busy circuit and proximity to CAS will keep you on your toes. As will the relatively short runway. As a friend of my says: if you have learnt to fly at Elstree you can fly anywhere.
Flyers and Vicky are also excellent; you will be very well looked after and competently taught, not just before your license but also once you have it if you remain with the club.
I joined 5 years ago, obtained my license 4 years ago and still occasionally fly the club aircraft, OCCU mostly, so you may see me around.
If Adam's your instructor, make sure to give him hell ;)

(oh, yes... I too had seen negative opinions on Elstree expressed at the time, but have not really understood where they came from. Yes, there are airfields with more of a club and less of a corporate atmosphere, more modern facilities etc., but equally, I have been to some airfields I was very glad to get out of again. I would quite happily base my aircraft at Elstree if only they had spare hangar space!)

Anyway, have fun and let us know how you get on. If you do see me around the place, don't be shy.

Cheers,

Morten
Morten wrote:Hi Fonzie

Excellent news and an excellent choice. The facilities at Elstree for a student are great and the generally very busy circuit and proximity to CAS will keep you on your toes. As will the relatively short runway. As a friend of my says: if you have learnt to fly at Elstree you can fly anywhere.
Flyers and Vicky are also excellent; you will be very well looked after and competently taught, not just before your license but also once you have it if you remain with the club.
I joined 5 years ago, obtained my license 4 years ago and still occasionally fly the club aircraft, OCCU mostly, so you may see me around.
If Adam's your instructor, make sure to give him hell ;)

(oh, yes... I too had seen negative opinions on Elstree expressed at the time, but have not really understood where they came from. Yes, there are airfields with more of a club and less of a corporate atmosphere, more modern facilities etc., but equally, I have been to some airfields I was very glad to get out of again. I would quite happily base my aircraft at Elstree if only they had spare hangar space!)

Anyway, have fun and let us know how you get on. If you do see me around the place, don't be shy.

Cheers,

Morten

Thanks Morten! Much appreciated - will definitely come in and update on milestones.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
simonvc wrote:/waves Another student pilot at Flyers in Elstree here. Just did my solo on Sunday.

The first solo of the year - congratulations and duly added to the list :thumleft:
simonvc liked this